1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

????? 4x4 needed???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by diamondave44, Aug 15, 2005.

1. diamondave44

diamondave44 Junior Member

I have an '97 F350 dsl. dually...is four wheel drive really needed to plow parking lots or sub roads?

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I plowed for years with a 2wd 3/4ton truck with no problems, and none of the city/county trucks are 4wd in my area. This will be a hotly disputed by some on this site, and yes all of my plow trucks are now 4wd. But, with proper ballast,(I would go with 5000 lbs in a dually) and good tires, it can be done....

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I suppose not, if you don't care about running the risk of getting stuck.

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

one of my buddy's runs a F-550 2wd with 9' meyers. He calmed he didn't need 4x4. He said as long as you have a running start your are fine. I am never going to buy another 2wd truck, unless it a 22,000 gvw truck or larger.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have plowed my dually in 2wd and 4wd- 2wd NEEDS ballast and good tires- my ballast was a sander and sand. The problem with a dually in 2wd is tons of float from the tires- once you loose traction you're done, and if the rear breaks away sideways- especially with a couple tons of ballast- there's no stopping it.

Municipal trucks are usually 2wd, but they are ALWAYS 24K+ trucks, and always Loaded with ballast (sand and sander) plus they do roads, all straight lines with no backing up. Oh, and municipal trucks DO get stuck- I have pulled them out of ditches before when the storm not allowing municipal loaders to arrive to help.

6. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

You can do it, but you better have somebody standing by for WHEN you get stuck (not IF, you get stuck). You can cut getting stuck to a minimum by knowing the limits of your truck. Don't push downhill if you can avoid it, keep you rear wheels away from and out of the windrow.

4x4's get stuck too, but they are better at getting themselves out.

I wouldn't plan on building a business around a 4x2.

7. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

2wd

No problems at all plowing with an isuzu npr hd diesel. ( 9 ft. snoway ht) Sno-way the power plow!

8. diamondave44

diamondave44 Junior Member

4x4 needed???

I'm not able to imagine your setup... do you have pictures? Thanks

9. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

Someone hinted at it, but you really need to let us know what type of places you are plowing. I do a bunch of commercial parking lots, mostly straight and flat. I've plowed them for 2 years, both years with different one-ton duallys, never had either truck in 4x4 mode. I like having it available, but I'm sure you could get started without it. like others have said - make sure you network with other guys in you area, just in case you do get stuck, but this is something I would recommend anyways.
    greg

10. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

well hell I can plow snow with a ford festiva!!

11. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

2wd worrrrrks with ballest

When I worked at the lumber yard we had a F350 12 ft flat bed with a western V. We would put 2 bunks of 6x6 12ft timbers on the bed. Only time I got stuck was when I tried stacking snow too high.

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would bet that most times you will get away with a big 2WD truck on flat ground and normal snow falls. You need lots of weight,pos-traction and stay away from areas that will stop you dead. Like down hill, down hill against piles,tight corners,backing up hills, hitting big drifts slowly and ice.
    Carry a heavy yank strap and sand so someone can help get you un-stuck.
    But, 4X4 is the way I will always go.
    I can go where many fear to tread!

13. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

NYC plows with collection trucks, chains on the rear wheels and away they go. I have seen a few get stuck but it was usually because some a**hole cut them off.