1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 mount on 4x2 GMC 3500

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Duncan90si, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Well Western doesn't make a GMC 2WD 88-00 3500 ultramount truck mount. So I ordered a 4x4 mount and I'm making it work, contrary to what a lot of people have said.

This is how the frame rail looked at the beginning.
    PIC00327.JPG

This is how badly the mount fit up onto the rail.
    PIC00328.JPG

So I began by making a template of the mount.
    PIC00329.JPG

Perfect fit so I marked my cutting points and fired up the torches.
    PIC00330.JPG

This is the rough cut. Not too shabby.
    PIC00332.JPG

PIC00327.JPG

PIC00328.JPG

PIC00329.JPG

PIC00330.JPG

PIC00332.JPG

2. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I am going to box the bottom of the rail in again. I started fabbing up a plate to rebox it in.
    PIC00333.JPG

The mount now fits very well. Not too bad for a 24 yr old white boy. :)
    PIC00334.JPG

Heres a pic of the new rail compared to old rail. The drivers side sits nice and flush and look at the height difference also. Its good being mounted higher too since it is only 2WD. (I know the drivers mount is crooked. It not bolted in yet, its just kinda hanging there.)
    PIC00335.JPG

Well I'm heading back out to the garage, lunch is over. I definately take pics when its done. My welder is working right now so I'll have to find someone else's. Let me know what you think.

PIC00333.JPG

PIC00334.JPG

PIC00335.JPG

3. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I think it looks real good. Great job. Are you going to be able to put the bumber back and also what size blade are you using?

4. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Yeah the bumper brackets will still fit fine. I'm mounting a Western 8.5' MVP with wings.

5. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Very Nice. Take some pictures of the plow on the truck. Rich

6. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Well I got it done and it all worked nice. The truck is going to need atleast some Timbrens, if not heavier coil springs up front. I had the truck hooked up to my 16' foot trailer with my mowing equipment for ballast and it sits much much better when the plow is raised. I just bought a 8' Western stainless V box so I can put plenty of weight in the rear if needed but I still want the front to sit higher without any ballast.

Heres how it sits without ballast and stock coils with 150K miles on them. Time for some front suspension upgrades! I bought this plow for $2200. Its in perfect condition. The mold board isn't even scratched.

PIC00340.JPG

PIC00341.JPG

PIC00342.JPG

PIC00340.JPG

PIC00341.JPG

PIC00342.JPG

7. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I just ordered a new set of heavy duty coils for the front. Its a 95 with 150K so I know the coils are weak, so I'll replace them first. I will then see how it sits and determine whether I'm going to need Timbrens also.

Heres a pic with the wings installed. Its a half inch short of 10.5' wide.

PIC00343.JPG

Sorry for the bad quality. I can't expect much from a $50 digital camera. :)

PIC00343.JPG

8. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I put the heavy duty coils on yesterday along with new shocks. It sits much better now. It only drops an inch when I lift the plow. When I stick the V box on the back, even empty, I think it will sit good. I'm still contemplating Timbrens but I don't think I really need them, but I might throw on a set for the he!! of it.

PIC00355.JPG

PIC00356.JPG

PIC00355.JPG

PIC00356.JPG

9. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

168 views and 1 person replies? I guess theres no love for a 2WD. I figured I'd atleast get a few of comments on it. :cry: j/k

Well while I'm at it, I might as well show how I bought the truck last November. It used to be a parking lot sweeper.

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

10. WSR

WSR Junior Member

I am interested to see how well a 2wd dually plows in icy conditions. Nice job on the bracket, almost a factory job!

11. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I plow three flat, open, large shopping plazas. This truck should do quite well. I have a set of brand new Workhorse snow tires with studs for the back. I have plowed with the identical truck but 4x4 before on these accounts, and I rarely ever used 4WD. That truck had an open rear diff, I put an Eaton posi with 4.56 gears in this 2WD. I'll see for sure when it starts snowing.

12. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

our 91 is a 4x4 but they told me they rarely used the 4x4 last year and when its loaded with salt even better so i think youll be fine