1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 making noise

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by gntbik, Dec 13, 2004.

1. gntbik

gntbik Junior Member
    from ny

i have a 1985 dodge truck and it only has 75000 miles on it and when i put the 4 wheel drive on and i satrt driving it makes a noise and th etrasver case shakes im not sure what it is. the front drive shaft seems loose so i dont know if its the uv joints im not sure i never had a 4x4 before so if anyone can help i would appecie it.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Well if front drive shaft seems loose, that is a good starting point. Check it throughly off of truck and make sure transfer case is full of fresh fluid too.

3. wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter Member

Noise

The transfercase will make noise when in 4 wheel drive going down the road.
    It will sound like the gears are moving with the speed of the truck.Any other noise than that needs to be looked at.
    Also when turning in 4 wheel drive do not over turn the wheel like you can in 2 wheel drive or you'll feel the tires fighting to turn.

4. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Hey You Should defintly consider having the Transfer Case Serviced. It contains Fluid and can be cleaned out! I had a alittle noise from my 99 2500 when i put it in 4 wd. After I had Transfercase Serivce it went away!

5. Tarkus

Not all do and some are noisier that others. My Borg Warner case in mine is quiet in high range. If the tranfer is causing the shaking it is beyond regular servicing too. Need to check drive shaft joints first then go from there when looking for the cause.

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

The double cardan joint on that front shaft is kind of hard to get to the grease fittings. It may have been neglected because of that and be shot as Tarkus says.

7. Tarkus

On my old GM trucks I always had to remove front drive shaft to make sure that joint was lubed properly. I would do it ever fall before winter set it. It was a pain but it was sure to get done that way too.

8. gntbik

gntbik Junior Member
    from ny

thanks for the input

im new to 4x4s how do i check the fluid level in the transfer case?

9. Tarkus

There are two plugs on back of case, one to drain and one for the fill level. They use ATF fluid and do not just check it, change it. About 3 quarts will do it.

10. streetsurfin'

You should have an NP208 in there with the W150, which takes Dexron II(current version III covers that). The W250 could have the 208 or a 205. 205 uses different fluid so if you have a 250 you need to know which T/case you have. W350 is the 205. NP205 can use GL-5 or Engine oil that meets at least an SF/CC classification. Consult your manual or a check chart for the proper viscosity for the temperature range you'll be operating in.
    Drain and fill plugs are found on the rear of the transfer case. Fill it till it comes to the bottom of the fill hole, just like a differential.
    Whichever you have I would drain and refill it.

Sorry T. didn't see you beat me to it. I'm watchin the tube while I write. :waving:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  11. Tarkus

Never seen a 205 spec'ed for engine oil but I have for ATF fluid and gear oil. It is not likely to have a 205 as most quit using them in 81 and went with 208's to save weight and costs. Any ATF fluid you can find with work fine as long as it is of Dextron type.

12. streetsurfin'

Yeah, I think Dodge was the one hold out on the 205 from what I heard. That info is from Chryslers 85 truck service manual. It says SAE 50 for over 32 degrees and SAE 30 fo under. I've only dealt with the 208 myself.

13. Tarkus

Huh, interesting. Dodge was always a bit different. In 73 thru 79 when GM only used NP203 fulltime case with a automatic, Dodge used it automatic or stick.

14. streetsurfin'

I always figured their oddities had something to do with their being used as military vehicles. Just a wild guess though.

Hey gntbik, what have you found out so far, in regards to the front axle or drive shaft?

15. Tarkus

Not so sure about that, I think they were more cost related, fewer parts to stock. Also the hubless front axle bearing cost less to make and was a pain to work on too.

16. gntbik

gntbik Junior Member
    from ny

thanks for your help everyone

well it turns out that it was the front uv joint that was causing the problem. so thanks for the help cause im new to having my own 4x4 truck so i just needed to get so info and i got under the truck and went through everything i couls see

17. streetsurfin'

Glad you got it taken care of. Keep those greased if you got the greasable ones. There will be a small plug in the end of one of the caps of the joint. Some come with a checkball in a fitting that allows you to grease it with a needle or rubber tipped grease gun. Others will require replacing the plug with a grease zerk, greasing it, then replacing the zerk with the plug. Theres no room for a regular grease fitting to rotate. thus the plug.

18. gntbik

gntbik Junior Member
    from ny

yeah i thought i fixed it but im confused. its fine when im ion gravel but not on black top.i was reading in the manual and it says not to drive it on hard surfaces in 4x4 why is that?????? i dont understand what if i need to have 4x4 on while im on the pavment what should i do cause it makes alot of nosie on pavment. im new to 4x4 trucks i dont understand why i have a 4x4 truck and it says not to drive it on the rode. anyone have any info for me.

19. streetsurfin'

I was referring to axle joints,by the way. If that was driveshaft u-joint it would have the grease fittings.
    Don't run it on dry pavement. It will buck and be noisy if you do, and not good for the parts. You may also then have trouble getting it out of 4X afterwards. If so back up in an S pattern and it should free up.

20. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

To the best of my knowledge, the NP205 was used in all W350s up until 93. The 208's were used in 1/2 and 3/4 tons...although I've seen a few 3/4 tons that were spec'd with the Dana 60F, and they also got the NP205.

My 77 owners manual lists SAE 30wt for the NP203 as well. :)