1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 is out

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Bossman 92, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys, Awhile back while my truck was in the shop I said the 4x4 wasn't working, well the mechanic walked over and said here is your problem. On the front drivers side of my truck I have a broken joint/nuckle or whatever. It doesn't affect the truck in 2 wheel at all. When the truck is parked you can free spin the shaft with no problem. He said you have to take the wheel/rotor ect off and it slides out, then you slide the new one in.

The truck is a 00 F350 SD I would have them repair it, but the last bill I got from them was to replace a broken wire on my starter for $113. Which I thought was a little steep.

Can someone help me with my lingo :confused: and let me know what to expect while doing this job.

Thanks Bossman

2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Bossman are you sure it is not just a universal joint on the axle shaft? If so just take your hub assembly off and slide it out and then replace the u-joint and while your in there replace the inner and outer seals. One is $20 and the other is $40 from the dealer. Steve

3. Bossman 92

Thanks Steve. U joint sounds right. Is it a pretty simple job? Should I replace the other side while I am at it?

Bossman

4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

go to your local advanced auto/autozone and buy a haynes manual for like 15 bucks, there decent for people who like to diy but arent as good as the expensive shop manuals.

5. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Bossman I would if I was you don't want to have to due it while its snowing.

6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Drew,

The EZ way to take them out of the shaft after its off the truck is to touch the center out of them the, press the caps out. then you got to press the new ones in.

If you want bring the truck up were do it in the shop

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's an F-350? Don't they have straight axles that year? Must be the joint right at the wheel. Get the parts, if the shaft is toast from a truck parts dealer. Like Sam Winer in Springfield (near Akron) It will be like 2/3's the cost vers a Dealership parts dept. If you don't want to buy a book right now go to the library. A bigger one / main will have the pro repair manuals. You might have to have them get them out of the basement or have it brought there from "downtown".

8. Bossman 92

It is the joint right at the wheel. Thanks for the advice guys. I have the manuel I just forgot about it. How much trouble is this job to do?

Bossman

9. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Andrew,

So its just your lockout hub that bad?