1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4: How Important is it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Byrnes1, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Byrnes1

Byrnes1 Junior Member

I am in the market to buy a 3500 series dump or rackbody truck. I found a 1995 GMC 3500HD 10' Rack body. The truck is in impecable condition and the 6.5 Diesel engine only has 50k on it. The only problem with it is that it is not a 4x4. I will be using this truck for both landscaping, and plowing in the winter. I was wondering how well a non 4x4 will plow (given that i will have a sander on back). I have other pickups to do most of my driveways, but i will use this truck for parking lots and some driveways. I am concerned because everything else about the truck is more than i could ask, i just dont want to find out in the winter that i cant move.. thank you
  2. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

2 wheel with weight & good tires probably will work

is there a plow already on it? if so, ask the owner how well it did. My boss has f 350 dump truck with sander and plow, and he plows in 2 wheel drive. he has four-wheel, but he rearly uses it. i'm sure your truck will be fine on parking lots, and level areas. with the right tires, and the weight from the sander. just look at town trucks that are mostly 2 wheel drive. i understand they are much heavier, but still. as far as hills and slopes, i really can't say. i hope that helps a little. if i needed a truck for all-around driveways, i would most-likely go with 4 wheel drive though. installing 4 wheel drive is an option too, if you want to spend the time, money, and possible aggrivation- good luck
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 1999 3500HD that we have plowed with since new. The only time we got it stuck was when the driver missed the roadway and went into the field. We have plowed as much as a 12" snowfall with it. We have a sander in the back and it is always 1/2 full to full. This truck has been great. We have a 9' Western.
  4. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Be very weary of the 6.5, your injection pump is under warranty till 130k but that motor is a ticking time bomb. An FSD cooler is a must.

With the sander in the back, a load on and decent tires it'll push anything. Keep it on the pavement and dont get hung up in a pile. It'll go up an incline, pushing a big load might be a different story though.
  5. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

should be fine as long as there are no hills and you don't get stuck.. :waving:
  6. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a simular set up, only its a Mitsubishi. I had a locker put in the rear. Works great, except for pushing up hill ,(driveway)not enough traction with only the rear wheels.I can plow up hill on a highway ok. Its just starting from a dead stop and heading up hill. Even with only an 1" of snow it won't go.

7. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We use GMC 3500 dumps, 2 w/ 4wd, 1 w/out. The 2wd has been stuck a few times, mostly driver error with a lump of snow either between the blade and front wheels or under the front wheels. Once it slid off a road. It is great when paired w/ a 3500 4wd, low cost way to push alot of snow and holds the vbed sander. Our back up, an old Toyota 4x4 has had trouble getting it out. I would be nervous if the 2wd was my only plow truck. If you get it can be very frustrating. Just keep it near one of your 4x4s and you should be ok.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2004