1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 hi or lo 1/2 tons plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beatle78, Nov 25, 2008.

1. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

Hi guys,

Last year I plowed driveways with an 89 K1500 ext cab long bed (not easy). This year I have a '03 K1500 ext cab short bed.

I always plowed in 4x4 lo with the 89. I'm planning on doing the same with the '03.

What gear do you guys plow in?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  2. karseneau012500

karseneau012500 Junior Member

I do 75% residential and i have never Plowed Driveways in low gear. Some parking lots befor with some wet heavy snow but i think its a little over kill for driveways. High gear deffinatly unless your truck feels as if its under power but you should be fine in High gear with the 03.

Kyle Arseneau
    01 2500HD 8FT Winged Western Pro
  3. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I usually have about 800lbs of salt in the bed but i try and keep it 2wd as long as possible. If I feel that the truck is having a hard time I will put it in 4hi but I agree with beatle unless its a very wet heavy snow i stay out of low
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

4-Hi most of the time...

4-lo if I'm trying to move a bunch a crap at once.

2wd if I got all the traction I need with my ballast, but as soon as my rear wheels start to spin when pushing is when the 4wd gets engaged.
  5. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

I could probably count the times on 1 hand that i have even put my truck in 4 low. With that said i use 4 wheel in drives but never low. Most of the time with ballast i can run 2 wheel
  6. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

We use 4 Lo 50% of the time, but we have mostly very steep driveways, and we get a lot of heavy, wet New England snow. It really depends on the conditions, the job, and the truck being used. One of our trucks has 3.55 gears, so it is in 4 Low almost all the time, another one has 4.56's and it is in 4 High most of the time. Not using 4 Lo when you should can burn the bands up in the transmission. If your constantly in the gas, and the truck has a hard time moving around, use 4 Lo.
  7. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

we tend to get a lot of heavy wet snow here in RI and I figured 4x4 lo will keep me from burning my tranny.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I use 2WD most of the time and never use 4low. If you need more power then shift the tranny to low. Not the transfer case. JMO
  9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

4 High for sure...
  10. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Wouldnt 4 low burn the tranny up more higher rpms just less speed? And id rather scrap a tranny then a motor.
  11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't even know if 4lo works in my truck.

Always use 2wd or 4hi when plowing.
  12. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I tried 4low a couple of times to push a pile farther back and it just spun the tires more easily
  13. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

My 2 main trucks are 2WD and I have never used low range in my K3500 pickup.

RODHALL Senior Member

did i say LOW

fact of the matter is using low range will save motor tranmission and you tearing up stuff with your plow
  15. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i plow in 4low most of the time..works well for me.
  16. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

if this is the case then you need MORE BALLAST!

I run 2wd most of the time-usually 3" or less & cold dry snow; if its slippery in 2wd I'll use 4 high.

If theres even a hint of bogging the truck its 4 LO

@@@ if I have alot of short back & forth pushing its DEFINITELY 4 LO; getting all that mass moving & stopping, moving & stopping is murder on a valve body & bands
  17. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

I plow in 4 Hi only time ive used 4 Lo is if im plowing down a steep grade.
  18. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have an S15 plowing this year for the first time, may have my guy run 4lo at least until he gets a better feel for it all and can use momentum to his advantage. Right now he's just powering snow out of the way.... and the truck has 3.08 gears and 235's instead of the stock 205's so for this example I'd say low range.

Depends where you are and how much speed you need.
  19. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

When the snow is lite I plow in 4 hi, and when the snow is wet and heavy I plow in 4 low.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I've never plowed in 4low, but I have heard of guys doing it. You wouldn't be able to with an Allison you'd do about 1.5mph in reverse.