1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4X4 grinding

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mikes plowing, Jan 24, 2005.

1. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

Any one have a grinding noise when hubs are locked in. I have a 87 full size blazer auto locking hubs. Tryed replacing hubs no luck. What else can i do!

2. ratplow408

ratplow408 Member
    from PA

I have a similar problem with my '84 K-5. I have a grinding noise in 4 wheel drive, I noticed that the rear bearing of the front output shaft was pushed out. The whole shaft and yoke assembly was loose so I tightened up yoke nut and drove a few miles in 2WD and 4WD,everything worked great.Then put front driveshaft back in and noise was back. The problem was c-v joint on front drive shaft. If you replaced the hubs check that c-v joint.

3. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

Are you talking abought the drive shaft from the rear to the transfer case. I'm running a 87 full size blazer. I had the same thing on my 82 k-10 last year could not find out what was wrong. I'll check that this week. thanks for the help. any more help I can use it all.

4. ratplow408

ratplow408 Member
    from PA

Yes, its the driveshaft from case to front diff. Mine was loose enough to loosen the nut on the yoke and make the output shaft slide front to back. this pushed the bearing out.You probablly wont have the bearing problem, I replaced my case w/ an np 205. A stock '87 has a np 208 or np 241. And that bearing is on the inside of case.

5. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I checked today and the front locking nut was loose in side the hub, I could turn it out with my finger. The front axles have play in the u joint. going to drive truck soon to see if it was the nut or not. If not have to take to 4x4 shop to get u joints fixed. Trying to save the 200.00-250.00 they want to do the job. thanks for the help let you know what i find.

6. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

Took to 4x4 shop they found I need ball joints all of them. front u-joints in axles loose. Wanted over 500.00 to do the work. After talking to the shop I picked up the truck no work done. The guy started talking to me like I was a dumb a @@@@@s. So I will be doing the work my self.

7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I had a grinding noise in my 87' and 89' had to replace axle u-joints and ball joints. Did it my self with the exception of pressing out the ball joints i had a shop do that for $20.00 total cost was $360.00 for both trucks and a days work.

8. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

Had similar problems in my 87 K-10. Replaced the universals on the front drive shaft, universals on the 4wd axles, tie rod ends, ball joints, shocks, brake rotors and pads and a new dual steering stabilizer. $1500.00 later :cry: it rides like new.

9. schnitz

schnitz Member

Not trying to hijack, but how much rougher of a job is it to change the front u-joints than the rear ones? I have changed u-joints in my old '93 many times (I had 3 to change in the full length of the 2 shafts) and now need to change both of the front u-joints in my '84. I've got the solid axle front. How much of the front end do I need to pull apart to change them? Will I need to knock the ball joints loose, too? Maybe while I'm that far, it won't hurt.

Chet.

10. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Once you get the front rotors off take the front spindle off (it has like 8 nuts that hold it on) the drive shafts will slide right out. Then replace the u-joints like any old drive shaft.

11. schnitz

schnitz Member

That almost sounds too easy! I rebuilt the whole brake system late last fall, but didn't notice the u-joints 'till after the thing overheated and cooked the starter. She got a bit warm. I changed the starter, and then the radiator sprung a leak. I can hardly wait to start fixing everthing.... :rolleyes:

12. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

:confused: I replaced the u-joints and the ball joints, and the noise is still there. Took off the front drive shaft and still got it. Does any one think it could be the spindle bearings or the gears in the front rear. Any thing would help. I feel like I can't do any thing right to fix it.

13. schnitz

schnitz Member

Does it sound different if you are "on the gas" or "just coasting" if you follow me? How about hard right-or hard-left turns? I almost wonder if maybe a shaft has some spline damage. I may be wrong (and have been wrong before :rolleyes: ) but anything is possible.

Later, Chet.

14. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

It only makes the sound when on the breaks. I talked to a 4x4 shop and I'm missing some parts for the spindols, I have them just didn't get time to put them on. thanks for the help, any more would be helpful. I hope it will take care of it.

15. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

OK I replaced all the parts. the ball joints,u-jionts,spindal bearings. Changed lock outs. First time drove it notheing.Seconed time had to push hard to get it to make the sound. But it is still there, I'm at my ends wites trying to get it right. The good thing it is the off seasion so I have some time to get it right.

16. schnitz

schnitz Member

Stuck or sticking brake caliper?? Is it still doing it?

Later, Chet.

17. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I'm going to check the breaks in the morning when I'm done at work. Whould it do that only whene the hubs are locked in or all the time? It's running me in to a lot of money replaceing thing and not haveing any luck.Well I guss you could call it up grades form what was on it. One thing i for got to put is when hubs are locked in and you push on the breaks truck takes a nose dive olny when the hubs are locked in thoe.Hope that helps a little.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  18. schnitz

schnitz Member

If it's a sticking caliper, it shouldn't make any difference if the hubs are locked or not. Is there anything that may rub at all if it nosedives? Maybe an elongated shock mounting hole that lets the shock "slide" a bit. Problem is here, that you know your truck better than us, know something isn't right and we can't all figure it out. No two trucks are the same. A buddy of mine has an '88 GMC that cluncked almost constantly when backing up with the left front side down (like at the edge of a driveway ditch). Then, and only then did it make the clunk. Wound up being the right side torsion bar. Took like 3 plowings to figure it out, the whole time wondering when it was going to break. Nerve racking to say the least. The bright side is, you have plenty of time to figure it out. We'll help.

In a while, Chet.

19. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I hope I found out what was causeing the grinding sound,I looked at my front springs and they are bending the other way(factory springs 2 leaf) going to put 4 leaf or a 3in lift on it before next seasion see what that does. Thanks for the help.

20. schnitz

schnitz Member

Anytime!

In a while, Chet.