1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 doesn't work

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Simpson1827, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Simpson1827

Simpson1827 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I'm new to this site looking for some input. I have a 95 k2500 the 4wd quit working. Replaced actuator still doesn't work can hear it run when you pull shifter back to 4wd. Was told to replace half shaft(maybe fork was bent or broke) it all seems to look as it should washer or shim in case was chewed up a little. I haven't put the half shaft back in yet was wondering if I could split the front differential while it's still in the truck to make sure there is nothing broke in the case. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I would not take any thing apart before diagnosing the system.

When you lock the tcase either in 4hi or low does the shaft lock up ? if not there is an issue with the tcase. When its in 2wd the shaft should spin freely.

Next I would pull the actuator and apply 12 volts to it. The actuator should expand if not you might have an electrical problem. Check the trucks harness for power and ground.

Post your results.

3. Simpson1827

from Ohio

Yes that was the first thing we checked put tcase in low gears down as it should new actuator(it's the motorized one) can hear it work. Made a homemaid actuator out of a piece of pipe and all thread still won't work. I pushed on button in the actuator tube hole with a screw driver turned drivers side tire front drive shaft turned. Running out of ideas don't know whether to split the front differential or just put it back together and hope for the best thanks for your reply

4. freedom rider

freedom rider Junior Member
    from Ma

Need to try and turn passenger side as it is the one that gets locked in. C-clip breaks or becomes dislodged allowing axle shaft to move and the gears don't mesh. Fairly easy fix. Remove axle tube on passenger side and replace bad pieces. Usually can be removed without taking any other major components out. My axle shaft was moving about 3/8ths of inch out of tube.

5. Simpson1827

from Ohio

I got it fixed put a different right side axle in it. There's a tit on the end of axle shaft it was broke. Put the front end back together works like a champ. I had about 2.5 hours in fixing it.