1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 doesn't work

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Simpson1827, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Simpson1827

Simpson1827 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I'm new to this site looking for some input. I have a 95 k2500 the 4wd quit working. Replaced actuator still doesn't work can hear it run when you pull shifter back to 4wd. Was told to replace half shaft(maybe fork was bent or broke) it all seems to look as it should washer or shim in case was chewed up a little. I haven't put the half shaft back in yet was wondering if I could split the front differential while it's still in the truck to make sure there is nothing broke in the case. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. plower11

plower11 Junior Member

4x4 prob

check to see if right axel stub that runs through axel tube by accuatior has broke the little stub off the end this has happened to me indicator light still came on but the stub on end stays in gear and washer falls down and wont let it engauge not to bad to fix ir you can find axel stub at junkyard if it is that you will need gear ratio for new axel that is a code in glove box

3. plower11

plower11 Junior Member

4x4 prob

when I fixed mine I just had to take and split it at diff where the four bolts hold the tube that has accuator in it and the two bolts that hold it to frame you have to separate lower ball joint to get cv axel out of way to pull stub shaft ond housing out little harder to put back in might whant to have some body to help hold spindle over to get back in have had to do mine twice bad design on axel

4. Simpson1827

Simpson1827 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I have the axle out of it the stub is still on the axle. How ever the one that was picked up at junk yard is missing the stub. I'm not sure a driver was out plowing the other day and called said truck was shaking bad we got it back to shop took right front tire off and the brake rotor was broke in half and ball joint was ready to fall off would say he hit something pretty hard. Axle looks good think I will put in half shaft and get another shim