1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 cuts out

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Derek83, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Derek83

Derek83 Junior Member

I plow with 97 1500 short box it works great, but when I go over 25 mph (driving down the road) it cuts out on me but if I let up on the gas it clicks back in.:dizzy:

2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like something is slipping in the transfer case ...Check the fluid level........

3. earl ohio

earl ohio Junior Member

sounds to me like a vaccum leak. or the accuator on front axle is bad. does heat go from floor to de frost when it does this? if does it is a vaccum issue. jmo

4. Derek83

Derek83 Junior Member

Yes the heat does go from floor to defrost when the 4x4 cuts out, I looked around at what vacume lines I could see and they seemed to apear ok?

5. frozenokiewi

frozenokiewi Junior Member

Try this

If you are loosing vacuum under load you have a leak. If the truck runs fine i would guess its not an engine gasket such as intake which our Chevy's love to eat without warning. Derek pull the checkvalve off the brake booster it should have the huge hose about 3/8 inch from the manifold. Wipe it off and blow and suck through it if the air goes both way you are off to the help parts section at NAPA Autozone etc. If the vents are dropping to the floor you are loosing vacuum somewhere. I assume this is a 350 and those years had several hard lines that cracked. My suburban "98" someohow melted cracked?? the evap canister line on the drivers side by the battery. Do you have any service engine soon lights? If the leak is that severe that it impacts the 4x4 and the vents its got to be pretty severe and should set a code as that truck is OBD2. It's under the hood I am sure you are going to have to check every hard plastic line and the evap canister under the hood, should be a rectangle plastic box on the drivers side below the drivers side battery. ...I have owned 4 of these trucks and its always the same crap. One more thing....crawl under the truck and check for any vacuum lines going to the transmission and transfer case, mine was a 98 with auto 4wd and i don't remember any vacuum lines going to it. i know on the older models with the 4wd floor shift there was a vacuum harness with a big white plastic vacuum plug that hooked to the t-case. If one of those lines are cracked that would allow the truck to run okay but still mess with the vents inside. Good luck...don't hesitate to email me...I love trouble shooting these Chev's...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  6. Derek83

Derek83 Junior Member

Thanks for the great info, but I have a 97 DODGE 1500.