1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 cuts out in the middle of plowing a driveway

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Lowell_Ma_Snow, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

Right in the middle of plowing driveways my 4x4 cuts out with no traction to the front. Was told it's a pin/rod of some type not engaging. Truck cools down and 4 wheel is working. Is this common for a 2000 GMC 2500 Sierra? Needless to say my plowing was longer than I wanted it and getting stuck in a few inches of snow and slipping and sliding up a hill is embarrassing. Already had an actuator motor replaced a month ago at the tranny shop and I'd of thought they would have found the problem on a test drive. Oh and the idiot that test rode my truck you know they were a bit rough when you find the stuff in the bed and in the extended cab all slid to the other side. I'm easy on the pedal and make my trucks last, pisses me off. Called them to get the truck in to check out the problem, told me there was a truck in the bay, still waiting. Will call again and find out what's up.

2. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

the actuator in the front diff...is it electric? or vacuum?

either way, I replaced that system in my S-10 (vacuum) with a cable from "Posi-Lock".
    it makes for an extra step when engaging 4wd, but it's much more reliable, and worth the money.

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

The actuator went out is my guess. Look up under at front axel their is an egg shaped device that screws into the front diff and has an electrical connection comming out the back. Disconect and unscrew. Go to auto shop and get a new actuator.

4. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

I spent an hour laying on my back in a driveway on Dec 19th due to the same problem. I could not get on the computer fast enough when I got home to order a posi-Lok.

Pull the cable out, 4x4 on, push it in, 4x4 off. It's that simple, no vacuum or electrical BS to contend with.