1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 conversion

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Feb 23, 2006.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Has any one ever converted a fulltime 4x4 to part-time? I want to go it on my 79 chevy k10, and would like to know how difficult it is with the kits.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

It's not to tough---haven't done it since your truck was two years old!!!:redbounce --But was able to do it in one night from what I can remember!--good luck hopefully we get some warm weather so you can do it and then a heavy snowfall just after!!!!1

3. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I'm hoping to get a kit as soon as I find an inexpensive one. I'm getting a bit of noise from the chain so I'm hoping to take some ware off untill I can get a new case.

Thanks for replying.

Steve

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

These kits are said to cause a lot of problems with longevity of the transfer case due to lubrication problems. They say the best way to avoid it is to regularly engage the 4wd for a minute or so because it uses the chain's motion to take oil to certain parts.

5. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply, I was reading about that....every few hundred miles, it said to drive in 4wd for about 10mi or so.

Thanks again,
    Steve

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a PITA, but then, I guess you wouldn't have to lock the front hubs for lubrication purposes, so it would only be a matter of engaging the lever for a few mins while driving... not too bad I guess.

7. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

I have the part time kit in my truck it was like that when i bought it 5 yrs ago. No trouble at all so far...knock on wood. I engage the case every so often but alot of times i forget to like in the summer, but make sure you check your fluid i do it every time i check my oil.