1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 / Backup lights

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by long0, Sep 12, 2002.

1. long0

long0 Senior Member

I recently aquired an 84 F-250 from a contractor. A portion wiring harness somehow got tangled up in the front drive shaft, that is why I aquired it instead of buying it. Anyway, when I went and picked up the truck, it ran, and I only had to replace / repair one wire. (Starter Solenoid)

Here's the problem. The 4x4 light on the dash flashes while going down the road, and the backup lights do not work. I checked the backup lamps, and they are good. I crawled under the truck to see if any wires had come off the transfer case, but there is nothing attached to it. Spent over an hour looking for any wires that might attach to the t-case, nothing. Not even any trace of broken wires. :confused:

Any ideas would be greatly appriciated.

Andy

2. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Andy,
    I'm not sure what transfer case you have but there are 3 places to look for 4wd indicator switch depending what case you have. Check the BACK of the case near output shaft, TOP of case and FRONT of case near the front input shaft. The 4x4 switch will have one light blue wire going to it. I'm thinking the reason it goes on and off is because the wire maybe grounding out somewhere. Look for a lt blue wire with a braded cloth cover on it.

The reverse lights are turned on and off by the neutral safety switch on the gear selector on the trans. Make sure it is adjusted correctly. Which the trans in N and THE TRUCK OFF, PARKING BRAKE ON AND WHEEL CHOCKED, loosen the two bolts and stick a #43 drill bit in the hole on the side. Rotate the switch until bit goes thru the hole and tighten bolts. If it is adjusted correctly I would start checking the wiring.

John

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Another place to check for the backup lights is the socket between the bed and wiring harness, it should be just behind the rear bumper. The contacts can get corroded, and sometimes so much so, the wire breaks internally.

To test for power, see that you have input to the switch mentioned above, power coming out of the switch, then power on both sides of the connector I mentioned. If these are all good, then you must have a bad ground.

4. long0

long0 Senior Member

Pelican,
    I did check the connector you mention, No power there either. I have not had a chance to get under the truck since my first post. It has been raining for the last 3 days. (Hopefully it will turn to snow soon, the peaks are getting white) I will pull it into the shop this weekend and dive under it a little deeper.

John,
    I believe the netural switch is on the left side of the tranny??? As far as the location of the T-Case connection, Nothing is hooked to the T-Case at all. Unless you guys know any reason not to, I think I am going to just remove the light bulb from the dash for the 4x4 light.

Thanks for the info

Andy

5. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Andy,
    Look at the very top of the transfer case there should be a 4x4 indicator switch. Reach up on the driver side of the tailshaft. You will not be able to see it but you can feel it. That is were the blue wire should go to but you mentioned some wires were ripped out maybe that wire is missing. As long as that wire touches metal, the 4x4 light will come on. I'll try and get a pic of it of you.

The neutral safety switch is on the drivers side of the trans.

John

6. long0

long0 Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys, but I think I am out of luck. The only thing that is hooked to the transmission / t-case is the spedo cable. No wires, nothing. Since I got this truck for free, I think I am just going to remove the 4x4 lamp, add a couple tractor lights to the back with a switch and call it good.

Besides these two little problems, the truck is in excellent shape. 147K, no rust - brand new tires. I went through it fairly extensively, and these are the only two items I could find that were wrong with it.

Now if I could only figure out which which frame fits on it, I will be all set. See Meyers Mount for further info.

Again, thanks for your help

Andy

Once I get my camera back from my GF, I will post some pics.