1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 ATV vrs Plow truck for home driveway

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by aaajaws3, Nov 12, 2010.

1. aaajaws3

aaajaws3 Junior Member

OK new to the forum but here goes .

Just moved to snow country well compared to SE virginia anywhere above Richmond is snow country but I am in the NE corner of Connecticut and have a 350+/- asphalt driveway. Snow blower I think to much to cover question is will an ATV do the job. I have an F250 6.0L crew cab long bed just seems way to big to strap a plow on the nose.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated . ussmileyflag

Need to get something soon we had our first 2" Monday

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

the atv will be hard pressed to posh a heavy snow or wet stuff
    the truck will be warm and push ALOT mose snow then an ATV ever will

3. Pro Lawn Care

Pro Lawn Care Member

I saw truck! As mentioned above its warm, dry and can push ALOT! I watched a guy working real hard last year to plow the 14" we had on our 1st storm wile I sat in my plow truck doing paperwork Finaly he asked me to plow his drive for him. He said his atv just couldnt push that much wet snow. If you are just plowing your own you can take as much time as you need so if it takes longer due to the size of your truck it wont be a big deal?

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

350' is a long ways to plow with an ATV. You would be better off putting a plow on your truck. 8' is a good size for what your doing.

5. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

I would say depends on Budget and if you want to take on contracts. In order to justify the Cost IMO a ATV plow with chains would be just fine. I plowed my storage business for the first 5 years with a sportsman 550. If you have the time to plow with an ATV then I would say use that because then you have a toy for the warmer moths as well - Jsut make sure if oyu do go wit hthe ATV you get the wench operated plow. Again thats just me because when I bought my truck plow I had to justify the cost so I decide to take on residential and Light commercial to pay for the plow.

6. aaajaws3

aaajaws3 Junior Member

Got the ATV

Well took your advice I Got the ATV as it is just for my driveway and with three boys we are already having a blast. No one seemed interested in pushing a snow blower down the drive for fun. Will see how it does. Got a great deal with a 52" plow and electric winch just need some white stuff to test it out .

Thanks for all the inputs