1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4X4 an absolute must?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Lynden-Jeff, May 21, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Well I'm starting a landscaping company and I'm pretty sure i'm going to have to dip in to the snow plowing scene. Is 4X4 an absolute must? I'm looking at a GMC 1500 (5L V8). I would rather not deal with the problems that can come with 4X4 I'm just wondering whether I can get away with some high quality snow tires and weight in the bed?

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't go 4x2 expecially on a 1/2 ton truck! Some guys get away with it on the F-350's and higher but on a half ton the amount of weight you would need to make is usable would be too much for the truck when combined with the plow's weight on the front!
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Landscaping and plowing take a heavy total on a truck. To tow, haul and plow with a 1/2 ton is asking a lot of a truck. You could start off with a 1/2 ton but you will quickly see that you will need a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton to do the job efficiently and safely with out tearing up your truck. jmo.:waving:

p.s. get 4 wheel drive:nod:
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not absolutely neccessary. Depends on how much you like being stuck.
  5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

If your going to buy a 2wd truck, you better have dual wheels in the back. Plowing 2 and 2 (2wd and 2 tons of weight in the back) is the only way you can plow in 2wd. I got a F-350 dump that weights 15,000lbs when its plowing and I have gotten stuck in 4x4.

Better look a chevy 2500HD if you want to plow snow with.
  6. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

what do you mean the "problems of a 4 wheel drive truck" there hardly are any. yea, you might have a few more moving parts but with the 4 wheel drive dissengaged its a standard 2 wheel drive. get a 4 wheel drive, it has saved me so many times from having to call a buddy or a tow truck.
  7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

a buddy of mine started off with a f150 when he started his landscape business. it was in the shop all of the time. it just couldn't take the abuse of towing and hauling day in and day out. if you are going to buy a 1/2 ton use it to haul your workers around or to do sales. i drive the same truck your looing at, every day and i love it!!! but i have the bigger trucks for the towing and plowing.
    Last edited: May 21, 2006
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you need 4 wheel drive to plow snow no if and or butts
  9. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Take everyone's advice and get a 4X4. If you don't, make sure you always have a phone and big tow chain handy because you WILL get stuck and it will be more than once per season.
  10. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I do better than 80% of my plowing in 2wd. But, when you need the 4x4 it is there. I would also agree with the rest as far as going 3/4ton or bigger. As far as plowing, the only time I NEED 4x4 is wet heavy snow with ice under it, icy inclines, or just plain deep snow. We don't get a ton of snow like you most likely do in Canada, so I can get away with it. Lots of ballast is the key around here in 2wd. Good luck.
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I often plow snow in 2wd, then shift to 4x4 for traveling from site to site. Though some conditions require 4x4 all the time. A lot depends on your ballast load and tires, whether or not the areas had a pre-application of de-icer, etc.
  12. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I would never look at a truck without 4wd, especially when it comes to plowing. It is worth it when you need it, and you WILL need it. It is not so much when your plowing, but as mentioned above, the road conditions can be pretty bad at times during the height of the storm. I had a mud truck that was 2wd once and even with good ballast and great tires, it spent a lot of time on the chain and come-a-long. 4x4 is the way to go. There is no way of getting around it.
  13. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

4x4 is the only way to go with such a light truck. I would also recomend a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for your needs. 4x4 comes in handy not only for snow. Heck wet grass on a hill will stop a 2x2 truck.