1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x3 or 4x4??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by srl28, Dec 12, 2009.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Got a pretty decent size department store lot we re doing this year. Contract and what not basically requires a 12' pusher on site. There arent really any long runs, nothing over 150'-250' long. Basically machine is for stacking and cleaning places that are a pain to reach with a truck. Question is, is will a fullsize 2 wheel drive backhoe handle a 12' protech box??
  2. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Title should be "4x2 or 4x4" not 4x3 sorry!
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

well to make a long story short, i don't thing the 2x4 is a good idea, ok for straight pushes but the minute you try to turn, it isn't going to.
  4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

...unless you steer with your brakes.
  5. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

No 4X4 only. Unless you like slipping and getting stuck.
  6. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

1990 to '93 I plowed with a JD 410B and a 310C both 2WD. We used an 8 foot, 3 yard snow bucket for plowing and loading. The 410 handled it alright. The 310 was often too light and became more frustration than what it was worth, but it would do the job.

I've never used a pusher with a 2WD backhoe and IMO a 12 foot pusher would be off the machine more than it would be on. I do think it would come in handy for pushing the lighter events.

A working differential lock will become your best friend.:nod: