1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4wd trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by michigan Joe, Nov 29, 2004.

1. michigan Joe

michigan Joe Junior Member

What is the difference between 4wd high and 4wd low and what should I use while I'm plowing.

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

4wd low will to put it simply, will double your power.

What kind of truck?

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I use high most of the time, if i need the extra power i use low. If its a smaller truck, low range helps that much more. Most of the time 4 hi will suffice. You want to push or pull anything serious then throw her in lo.

4. michigan Joe

michigan Joe Junior Member

I've got a 2004 F-250 v8 superduty. And yes, this is my first year plowing.

5. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I have found out that you can do allot of plowing in 2wd. this also makes turning allot esayer and takes the toll of your front end. If you start to slip drop in 4wd h, if you have a monster snow storm bust out the 4wd Low and fire away.

If you have not yet put it in 4 L try it. Way more torque, but Very slow. ( do not drive fast.)

6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Low range on modern 4x4's runs around 2.6 to 1 (give or take) and with a big engine it is sometimes easy to overpower your traction in Lo range. In a big storm once you lose traction to push, lo range will not get it back for you. ALso the poster above is correct about strain on front axle when turning tight while in 4wd with a straight front axle. A GM truck with CV joints is less effected by this though. Myself I rarely use Lo range but it depends on the truck to. Try it both ways and see what works best for you and your truck.

7. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Does it help the transmission??

Somewhere someone said that running in low range will increase the flow of the transmission fluid. Sending it out to the cooler more often.

Any truth to this?

Glen

8. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus Junior Member
    from ohio

If your engine and tranny are spinning faster than normal because of the low range, to me it makes sense to me that the transmission fluid would travel faster as well.

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Low range is in the transfer case, not the transmission... therefore it can't have anything to do with the cooler as it has no pump.

You probably build less heat in the first place by placing less stress on the tranny (thru mechanical advantage)...

But then again, spinning the tranny faster should result in more heat as well....

I always plow in High Range.... my tranny's first gear is more than low enough.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  10. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

The other guys are correct because in low range the tranny runs quicker internally and pumps more fluid and heats it less because the major heat builders in the tranny, the torque converter and the clutches are carrying less torque. If high range you will develope more heat in torque converter and clutches for a much higher torque load. This extra heat may not be a problem in most trannies with aux cooling but it is there in high range none the less.