1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4WD troubles

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by tasbm5, Feb 3, 2015.

1. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Hi all, This morning I put my TJ in 4WD to plow and the shifter and the light on the dash said it was in 4hi but it wasn't . Finally in went in and all was good until driving down the road it started grinding like it popped out of gear ,like I was in neutral .I pulled over put the jeep in park put the transfercase in 4 hi the transmission in drive and all has been good since . Any ideas were to start troubleshooting ?
    Thanks Terry
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Manual hubs?
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Worn/damaged linkage?
  4. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

The shifter linkage on the TJ is kinda over complicated. It is located on the bottom side of the tunnel. Check to make sure the plastic bushings didn't rot or break out. My guess is it got rusty and possibly bent a little bit. If it's not bent, or missing bushings, I'd try spraying some lube on it and work the shifter back and forth.
    I have changed the one on my rock crawler to an Advance Adapter cable shifter.
  5. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

My 05 TJ UL had its linkage go bad. They tried freeing it up but had to order new parts and repair it. My 4wd light switch went also. My Jeep would not into 4 lo and would pop out of 4 hi from time to time.

After one and a half hours in the repair shop my 4wd works better then new.
  6. micklock

micklock Senior Member