1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4WD question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by n1alx, Oct 24, 2003.

1. n1alx

n1alx Junior Member

This may sound dumb but I am interesting in the business and I was wondering if it is necessary to have 4-wheel drive in order to plow. I live up in Vermont, so some of the driveways are pretty sloped.

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'll second that !

Do a search,it has been discussed over and over.

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I say YES DEFINITELY, but some guys claim they plow pretty well with a 2WD truck with some weight in the back. I dont like to say I dont believe someone, but sorry I dont believe 2wd can be used as a plow truck. Besides just plowing perfectly flat areas, you have to be able to get there, which means driving on snow covered streets some of the time, up hills some of the time, and you will be doing nothing but slipping and sliding and taking a chance of getting stuck, or even worse, getting into an accident or causing an accident. Just my oppinion. I think if someone wants to start plowing snow, the LEAST they should do is start with a 4WD truck. :nod: Mike :waving:

5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

four wheel drive is a must with a single rear wheel truck. A dual rear wheel truck can plow in two wheel drive with weight but it'll plow better with four wheel drive. :)

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I still say its a must even if it is a dual rear wheel one ton truck. Do you think a 2WD Ford F350 dually, with alot of weight in the bed can plow as good as the exact same truck with 4WD? Im just using Ford as an example here. 2WD, in my mind, can never be as good as a 4WD truck of the same make and model. Mike

7. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I have a 95 k2500 and a 83 c3500. the 3500 is drw, the dump is great for parking lots and stuff, but like others said I have to be REAL carefull where I go with it. the 95 in 4wd, almost unstoppable. my next plow truck will replace my dump and it will definitely be 4wd. awesome piece of mind with a 4x4

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I plow with a '96 Chevy 3500 4x4 dual rear wheel. With a sander and two yards of sand it's almost unstoppable even in 2wd. BUT, it is stoppable. At those times I'm damned glad I can just reach down and shift to 4wd. Then, as I use the sand and it's just the sander, I'll use 4wd most of the time when pushing.

I'll never have a plow truck without 4wd.

9. push4$$

push4$$ Junior Member

Take it from your neighbor over in Underhill,you MUST have 4wd to plow in our neck of the woods.Not just for plowing but for getting to your customers location in certain times of year like mud season when it snows.Snow,mud,2wd,and a plow hanging off the front don't mix.

10. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

There was a thread here last year sometime about using ex-military duece and a halfs. They aren't 4X4s- they're 6X6s... :)

11. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I'm another neighbor, over to the west a bit, Milton. Have you ever seen the bumper sticker that said "Vuhmont ain't flat!"? How long have you been around here and how many guys do you see plowing with 2wd?

This has been beaten to death, in flat, open lots 2wd will do alot with proper ballast and technique. In narrow and hilly driveways you better get to be buddies with a tow operator.

12. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

How about FRONT wheel drive?? LOL My first plow truck was an old Chevy beater 4x4. I never used it for anything else and wouldn't trust it enough to take it farther than town (about 3 miles away) so I left it in 4WD all the time. It wasn't until the day I sold the old girl that the new owner took it out of 4WD and it wouldn't move. We determined the rear end was out of it (or something) and I figured that I must have been plowing with just the front wheels working for the 2 years I had it!!