1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4wd question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sjones, Feb 17, 2010.

1. sjones

sjones Junior Member
    from ct.

To gm owners with the auto 4 wheel drive option,do you use that option or plow in straight 4 wheel drive.

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I had that option on a blazer. I believe if it was on a plow vehicle, you would use straight 4wd high. I don't think that setting was meant for plowing.

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The auto four wheel drive feature utilizes clutches in the transfer case. The transfer case uses speed sensors to determine when the clutches need to be applied to give you four wheel drive. Plowing with the vehicle in auto 4WD causes constant engagement and disengagement of the clutches, which will lead to early failure of the clutches. Putting the vehicle in four wheel drive high locks the clutches so there is no slippage.

4. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

i try to use 2 wd low to whip aound turns and corner better but sometimes i go to 4 wd high only when i cant use 2 wd only use auto 4 after plowng when the streets are semi cleared.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do not use the auto function for plowing. Unless you like rebuilding transfer cases.

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I Bet Ya...Some where in that owners manual it tells you that...:drinkup:

7. louied9

louied9 Member

i use 4W High when plowing.. with my 87 K5

8. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

If you have enough weight in the bed, you probably don't need 4wd at all. I seldom use 4wd, and neither do the guys I plow with. 4wd makes it hard to turn on ends and leaving it engaged while turning often is hard on the truck.

9. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

If you have enough weight in the bed, you probably don't need 4wd at all. I seldom use 4wd, and neither do the guys I plow with. 4wd makes it hard to turn on ends and leaving it engaged while turning often is hard on the truck. I will say that we plow commercial lots exclusively. I could see where residential could be different.

10. cundog77

cundog77 Junior Member

I burnt my transfer case up plowing in 4auto. Didn't realize it thought I put in in 4high. Tranny shop said it only take a little while of the constant in an out to burn up the clutches

11. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Depends on what you are doing really and what type of blade you have as well. Unless you have a dump or large V box filled to the brim, there are times you will have to use 4 when trying to scoop with a large plow when you have a pile. If you are just windrowing, 2wd will work fine.