1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4wd problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chas4x4, Dec 22, 2008.

1. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

My dad has a 2004 f150 and when you pull the lever in to 4wd the light comes on but it does not lock the transfer case in,it does the same thing in low range any ideas any one:confused

2. ffplow

ffplow Junior Member

auto or manual hubs? Check if the front axles are spinning when rears are spinning, if they are, your hubs are not engaging.

3. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

The f150's don't have locking hubs.

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

does the shifter need to be adjusted maybe im not sure with the 150's

5. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

this has the lever on the floor when you pull is in you can hear a click but nothing happens for power to the front.

6. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

The linkage needs to be lubed. If you don't put it in 4H or 4L for a while the linkage will seize up and the lever won't engage 4WD. My F250LD is in the shop now for brake issues and linkage lube. Couldn't get it in 4WD this year, now I realize I never put it in 4WD last year.
    Once you get it working make sure you engage 4wd every couple of months to keep it working.

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

did you lock the hubs??

8. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Yup, and don't force it if it's anything like the F350 ones. Common problem and they seize a lot. I busted one and a new linkage assembly from Ford of Canada is over $500, and not much better stateside. Managed to get a used one from Rancho Ford Parts in California, and lesson learned. First thing I did is disassemble and put the anti-seize to it. I'll do that at the first sign of stiffness too!