1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4wd problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by omsrex, Dec 8, 2003.

1. omsrex

omsrex Junior Member

i live in NJ. we just had this big snow storm and i thought no problem, i would the 4x4. Friday it the truck (96 tahoe LT) was sitting in the parking lot cold and started it up and started moving and while still cold hit the 4x4 HI button. the 4x4 HI button started to blink and there was a huge and loud clunk and it went into 4x4 HI and the light was steady on in 4x4 HI. so i was driving it until saturday in 4x4HI with no problem switching between 2Hi and 4HI. so saturday night i parked the truck and came back and started it up and the 4HI light was flashing. i started driving and it would not stop flashing. i pushed the 2HI it the light was steady on in 2HI. i pushed 4HI and it would not stop blinking in 4HI. it would stay blinking indefinitely. so now i have no 4x4 only 2wd and my truck slips all over the place in the snow. i did try to put it in 4LO and it went in but only the rear wheels turned not the front. could it be the actuator?

Anyone have any thoughts?

thanks
    Omar

2. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Could be! I think they make a manual kit. Look in JC Whitney catalog.

3. if you were in 4 wheel low and only the rear wheels engaged and not the front at all, you might have a problem with your t-case. I'd have that looked at right away, things can get ugly with those things.

just to make sure, you mean in 4wd low, only the rear wheels engaged in 4wd low? and nothing happened in the front? It doesn't sound like it could be the motor, because if it was, it would not engage at all. I don't know about chevy's, but it could be your hubs. Just a thought tho...