1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4wd or locking differential engaging while driving

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bswalks, Sep 6, 2011.

1. bswalks

bswalks Member

Hey all. I've got a 2005 hd2500 issue i need some help with.
    Twice in the past 2 days i've been driving & it feels like the 4wd has engaged by itself.
    Truck pulls hard to left & i get some wheel hop, as if its in 4wd.
    I immediately pull over, back up & i hear a loud clang, like the locker is disengaging.
    If this ? has been asked before, my apologies, i'm new to the forum.
    THANKS

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Check to see if you have a frozen brake caliper. Jack the wheel off the ground and try to spin the wheel.

3. bswalks

bswalks Member

Thanks for the info. I'll check that out

4. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Check the air pressure between the rear tires. That alone can engage the G-80 when turning. Mine locks up all the time when turning on wet roads and sometimes on dry roads if the truck leans into the turn at all. May not hurt to pull the cover and make sure it is not damaged.

5. bswalks

bswalks Member

Hey, thanks. I'll try that too.

6. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Could be the transfer case encoder. I know my dad has a problem trying to get his 04 out of 4 wheel drive. It will bang out of 4x4 if he does not back up after taking it out of 4x4. Never had a problem going into 4 wheel drive. And no 4 wheel drive light, but I am leaning towards the encoder.

Here is a link to LMC parts http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ce/full.aspx?Page=153

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  7. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

I had what sounds to be a similar issue with my 05 HD...It was the r/e locker...changed the r/e gear oil and no problem since.Easy fix and a good idea to do anyways.Just make sure you get the correct gear oil !

8. bswalks

bswalks Member

Hey, thanks to all! Appreciate all the help.
    I've checked the calipers & tires- seems ok.
    Ratherbfishin, your the second to tell me to
    service the rearend. It's never been changed, so that's next.
    Thanks again!!