1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4wd not engaging

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ratherbfishin, Nov 27, 2014.

1. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

My 2011 GMC with electronic 4wd will not engage. The truck only has 30 K on it...possibly frozen??
    I knew when I ordered the truck I didn't want the electric shift. Always had the manual floor shift style,but with the SLE package manual was not available!

Any suggestions are appreciated.
  2. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Are you getting any lights on? Can you any clicking?
  3. ratherbfishin

no clicking or any sign of trying to engage. Light on @ 2wd at switch. Still thinking that it could be frozen??
  4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I had a problem with my 07. The switch would get hot and overheat. Shut the engine off for a min and would work fine. I bought a new switch and it solved the problem.
  5. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

Check your fuses, had this happen before.
  6. ratherbfishin

First time this happened...Fuses are good; Indicator light shows, so shes getting juice!
  7. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

could be the 4wd encoder motor, its mounted on the front axle. had this happen to a couple of our gm trucks
  8. JAJA

JAJA Member

Is it under warranty still only ask cause that would be an easy fix
  9. ratherbfishin

That sure would be a simple fix! But no, expired in June.
  10. Mr.Markus

If you shut the engine off put it in 4wh and start the engine does it engage?
  11. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

I know on my 250 I had a bad vacuum solenoid which was causing it to not engage. It was also only letting my defrosters work and not my front air vents
  12. Joneill

Joneill Member

my 99 chevy was doing the same thing and it was the actuator, $60. part and about 20min fix. hope yours is as easy
  13. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Over the years, different generations of GM push button four wheel drive have had their inherent issues. Front axle actuator failures and dash switch failures were very common on the early systems. The shift position switch, or mode switch, inside the encoder motor (which is located on the transfer case, BTW) was another common failure. Most of these failures are much less common on newer GM's. Your truck has a four wheel drive control module, which can be accessed with a good scan tool, such as Tech 2. I'd have it scanned to see if any fault codes are present. Typically, if codes are present, you'd have a "service four wheel drive" message, but that's not always the case. Either way, having it scanned would get you started in the correct direction. Otherwise, it's just a huge guessing game.

Also, there's nothing vacuum operated in the entire system. Not on a GM. It's all electric.
  14. ratherbfishin

So.... I tried the 4wd again just for shits and giggles.... guess what it worked. Maybe it was simply the shut her down, fire her up trick??? Being 100% electrical as stated;any possibility of something freezing up? It was cold the storm day and has warmed up since.
  15. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Not really likely that anything is frozen up. If it were mine, I'd still have it scanned. There may be codes present that would indicate an intermittent problem, electrical or such. Not sure how heavily you depend on the truck, but it may leave you hanging when you most need it... That's typically how it goes.
  16. Mr.Markus

On my 07 it is a dial switch. It got warm right from the start, and would stop working intermittently. Shutting everything off would reset it, but what a pain. I bought a new switch ($130 CDN probably cheaper for you) and it solved the problem.
  17. bean7654

bean7654 Member

So I have a 2011 Silverado 2500 and had the opposite issue. When I was in 4HI it would not got back to 2 wheel. Only way it worked was if I shut off the truck and back on. Happened last year. Took to the dealer a few months ago and told them(got the extended warranty). They said they did have a software/firmware update to the transfer case so the did that. So far so good but only used 4HI like twice although last year it was happening almost every time. Time will tell if that did the trick. Might want to maybe look into as a possibility.
  18. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 03 2500HD SLE, I've owned the truck about 5 years now and its a problem every winter, I just had the 4th T Case shifter motor installed a month ago ($650 CDN plus labour at GM) first snowfall last Thursday and guess what, it started acting up again. I'm scared to death to buy another electronic shift 4wd after this.
  19. ratherbfishin

I have a backup plow truck, but I certainly need this one too! I will have it scanned...not a bad idea hearing all the horror stories about it!