1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4WD Not Engaging

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CAT 245ME, Feb 2, 2013.

1. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2003 GMC 2500HD with 6L engine with push button 4wd.

The problem is that the 4wd is not engaging or disengaging after the truck has started. When I turn the key to the on position the 4wd switch lights up as it normally would then just the 2 HI light is on as normal.

Now when I turn the key off then press the 4 HI and hold it then turn the key to the on position it will shift into 4wd, same goes for going back into 2 HI, I have to have the key in the off position and hold the button down then turn key to the on position to disengage.

I have tried a couple of different switches but still no change.

Any ideas what to look for next.

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Might get a code reader check see anything shows up its a electrical problem

3. CAT 245ME

Well after 5 hours at the dealer, replacing the transfer case control module (TCCM) and transfer case shifter motor and a lot of $$$$, it's now fixed.

Do I ever miss manual shift transfer case's :(

4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

They're still around. I wonder how much it would have cost to convert.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Probably the same money he spent on the acuators. :eek:

I just replaced the front hubs and vacuum lock-outs on my Ford. Easy enough job to do yourself, but what a crock.

6. CAT 245ME

There was a fella that lived around here that did it, he had a 1500HD (04 I think, maybe older). If I remember right, he took a manual T case and front drive shaft out of a 98 K2500 that was equipped with a 4L80E and cut out the manual shift lever and swapped it into the 1500HD.

Now I could be wrong but I think he also ran the front actuator off a toggle switch.

But for me, this is my first electric shift T-case, I know others have had good luck with them but I'm not interested in another one.

7. White Gardens

Your problem was the norm for that series of Chevy's. My 01 S-10 had a similar issue when I owned it.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can find a truck now without electronic 4wd.

8. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I know for sure that in 2003 GM offered a manual shift transfer case on the 2500HD. I thought that most 2500's and 3500's of that era that I've seen were manual but I could be wrong. Not sure what's offered now.

9. CAT 245ME

The GMC dealer has a few new 2500HD W/T's regular cabs, 6L gas with manual shift transfer case's.

10. White Gardens

Wow, nice to know. Didn't think they existed anymore. Thumbs Up

I know you can still get manual lockout hubs on certain trucks, but didn't realize you could get a manual transfer case also.

11. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

The same thing happened to my gmc some years back and turning the key on & off sometimes fixed it. It was the control assembly that went out at times. Thankfully it was covered under the warranty cause it was over $ 1000 for that assembly alone.

12. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

My 04 has manual shift I would not buy one that did not.

13. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

My 06 has a manual shift, there still use it on new trucks also.

14. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

The reason the dealer replaced both the TCCM and the encoder motor was because the first fix they tried did not work so they went to a second component, chances are zero that both the TCCM and the encoder motor assembly both failed at the same time. Also the failure in the encoder motor assembly is usually a serviceable part, the encoder ring goes bad, GM charges about $100 for the encoder ring compared to $600 plus for the encoder motor assembly. After the EM assembly is out it takes about 10 to 15 minutes to change out the encoder ring, well worth the time to do it to save hundreds of dollars.