1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4WD issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JBano13, Jan 16, 2013.

1. JBano13

JBano13 Member

Has anyone had any problems with their front differential in the GMT-900 Silverado? Mine snapped away from the frame and GM doesn't want to cover it under the powertrain warranty.

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

What truck? Year? What did you have as a plow?
    Was the plow frame welded to truck frame?
    What action were you preforming when it snapped?
    Pictures?

3. JBano13

JBano13 Member

The truck is a 2008 Silverado 1500, 5.3l, regular cab, short bed with a fisher minute mount 2. I only use the the 4wd when plowing. Not sure when it actually failed. The truck hasn't even been used much plowing, I've been out of the country from January to March for the past 4 years.

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Gotta ask, but does that truck have a plow prep package?

It wouldn't have prevented that damage, but it's an out for auto makers to deny warranties.

5. JBano13

JBano13 Member

Yes, it does have snow plow prep and the plow was installed by a fisher dealer.

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Not saying you HAVE to do this but it is what I would do.

Get the truck to a GM Certified INDEPENDENT mechanic. Have him detail the failure and the reason of. He may even be able to do warranty work some around me do even tho they are not at a dealership.
    Then call the 800# to corporate offices and state your claim. The dealership may be stroking you just to get you to pay for the repair. If they give you the BS about a plow attached explain they do sell many trucks new WITH plow attached and that it would not hold water with a arbitrator if it went that far.

Good luck , we all know how and why dealerships have the nickname of Stealerships.

7. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

8. JBano13

JBano13 Member

The dealer is saying that its not them it is the warranty rep. that is saying its not covered but customers can not directly contact the representative only the dealer.

9. JBano13

JBano13 Member

The truck is also leveled so I guess that is why they wont cover it. Only time its in 4wd is when the plow is on which drops the front end down lower then stock height anyway.

10. theholycow

Yeah, with the height adjusted to non-OEM spec they have a position strong enough to pass legal standards for not covering it, even if we know that technically speaking it should not cause the failure that you had.

11. JBano13

JBano13 Member

It is kind of crazy though because if the truck had torsion bars that were cranked the outcome would be the same but they probably would have never known the difference. Just a heads up to anyone else though with a Silverado that is leveled or probably even timbrens, they apparently void the warranty.

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That's it right there I bet, the cranked t-bars. Stealers will find anything to say no to. What's funny is that dealers with sell a lifted and totally modified truck and the warranty is good.

13. theholycow

Just cranking the T-bars is worse than installing a proper kit that retains OEM geometry, and would be a reasonably legitimate reason to deny a warranty claim on some things. I think they'd notice, but then on the other hand I think a smart owner would decrank before bringing it in.

14. JBano13

JBano13 Member

I don't have t-bars to crank, the truck is an 08 1500, it has a leveling kit. Either way it should not have failed like it did.

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Sorry, I misread. How did you "level" it? The result is the same.

16. JBano13

JBano13 Member

It is leveled using spacers, same end result as cranking t-bars but these trucks don't have t-bars.

17. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Oh ya, springs. Honestly, the spacers may have been the nail in the coffin. Front end mod and front end damage. You and I know that didn't break your diff, but all they need is an excuse.