1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4wd is down =(

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bigjeeping, Dec 5, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Well went out last night and to the sad realization, my 4wd wouldn't kick in.

It's a 2000 F-250 v10. It has the electric switch to activate 4wd and the cluster light comes on showing that it is engaged.. but it's not!

Put a ton of weight in the back and did fine!

Has anyone had any problems like this? Yes, the hubs are locked.

2. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Do you know for a fact the hubs are actually locking and engaging the axleshaft? The easiest way to tell is to jack up the front, lock the hubs in and spin the tire. If working correctly the axle shaft should spin and you might even get the driveshaft to spin.

Now unlock them, go in and put it in 4 wd, and see if you can spin the front driveshaft by hand, if so then its more than likely the t-case shift motor. Which is a common prob on all electronically shifted t-cases. If the driveshaft doesn't spin then soemthing isn't happening up front in the axle.

3. rollnthunder

rollnthunder Junior Member

Its one of two things either the vacum line or the junk stock hubs that ford uses.Sometimes you can pull the hubs off and clean and relube and they will work fine for a while.You can take the hubs off just by take the retainer ring off with a pair of pliers.No need to take wheels or anything off.Also try just turn the hubs to engaged to auto a few times.I had a set that just where hanging up a little and after cycling them a couple of times they started working agian.Hope this helps.

4. JCplowboy

JCplowboy Junior Member

I have had the same issue on my Ford. It was a vacuum leak in the hub. To get by, lock them in manually. Center section turns from auto to lock/manual.

5. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Guys thanks for the replies so far.. Tommorrow I will jack up the front and try locking the hubs and turning the wheel by hand - am I looking for the drive shaft to spin?

Question - my hubs are either lock or auto. They had been on auto last winter and all summer, and now the 4wd isn't working. Well I put them on lock and I think it might be working.. but guess I wont be sure until I jack it up and find out. If that is the case - only the "lock" works, not the "auto" should I make sure I switch it to auto when I turn off the 4wd, or can you drive around in 2wd with the hubs locked?

6. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

IIRC locked means they are totally locked in, auto means you can put the t-case in 4wd and then then the vaccum is pulled on the lines to lock the hubs internally.

So i fyou lock them it would be like any other older 4wd truck if you drove it around.

And if you lock the hub while jacked up the axleshaft should really only turn on the side you locked unless you have a LS up front or locker. It doesn't really matter if it does spin the d-shaft, if it does spin it along with the axleshaft then you know your hub is locking correctly.