1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4wd for roads?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cubplower, Jun 9, 2010.

1. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

For you guys like mackman that plow roads, do you guys keep your trucks on 4wd all the time?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Only if needed. If plowing with the storm, and plenty of ballast, 2wd should be fine.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I know a guy that has a GMC 4500 4x4 with a 10' plow, 10' wing and a dumb body with a tailgate sander. He plows with alot of sand on and he plows in 4wd. I think he could go in 2wd but he says it spins alot in 2wd.

4. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

4x4

I have a C60 4x4 with 11' blade (very heavy) I haul my new holland boomer (34hp) on the back for ballast and plow (a lot) of snow purely residential. Most of the time I run 2wd. My '84 chev P'up w/ western 7 1/2stays in 4x4 until the roads are clear to either wet or dry. Gosh, can you imagine what a bunch of freaks we are, here it is almost July, and we're geeking out about plowing snow!

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Bow in the world do you fit a ln 11' plow in a residential? Ya 2 car but 1 car?

6. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

how do you fit a truck that big in a residential?

7. plowatnight

from Mn

11' Plow

Sorry, let me clarify, I plow Townhouse properties and use the big truck for the common drive and use my boomer w/ loader and rear mt. 60" blower for the short work.(pulling garage doors), although when I've been in a hurry I have backdrag' the garrage doors with the truck. (You oughta see them older peoples eyes get big as saucers when that big mother rolls up to about 2 feet from the door and drops the plow!) This is located on top of a hill where the drifting is insane! This truck has the power and traction of a tank. Maintenance on the truck is a drag though because I have to take the plow off to get the truck into my garage. I'm working on a new project to mount a rear snow blower on my '84 chev. 4x4 plow truck. I'll tell all when I get that ready for this coming winter.

8. plowatnight

from Mn

11' Plow

I forget, I'll haul the boomer on the back of the C60 to my single family residentials. The 60" blower is awesome for that work because you never run out of space.

9. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

LOL I know i'm out with my crew right now cutting grass and on my computer on plowsite...Lawnsite is good but people are to hatefull to each other.........enjoy the rest of youre summer

10. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

i used to work in the maintenance dept. for GM they gave us Kodiaks 4500 to plow with (which were kinda of cool) We plowed their lots in 2WD mostly unless the snow was more like slush or ice coated(slush)....

11. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Most of the time im in 4x4. But once the roads get kinda clear its 2wd. The township i plow is back in the woods with alot of hills on narrow roads. So i just go slow in 4wd.