1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4WD Farm Tractors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by diggerman, Sep 29, 2000.

1. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I just finished a 4wd Agco Allis farm tractor that I am going to use for snow,it is an 80hp machine with a three range transmission with its own shifter,four speed with its own shifter and a foward reverse shifter.I will be putting a 11ft plow on the front and a 9 or 10 foot rear blade.Has anyone used farm tractors and if so was extra weight need or is the 4wd enough. If extra weight was used how was it put on the machine(ie:wheel weights,filled tires,etc).

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I use a pair of New Holland 2160s they both have 11' backhoes, and front buckets. The backhoes have never been taken off, and i put a 9' plow on the front bucket. The thing is the hydrolics are slow, they don't have the speed of skidsteers, loaders, trucks ect. Yours might be able to handle a larger blade, but 9' is all the 2160 wants and them some. Traction isn't an isshue, however you will probably never use low range, talk about slow. Combined with bucket you can make mountains of snow. There not the best peice to move the wite stuff, only mine get plenty of use in the summer, if i wasn't useing them there, i wouldn't buy them for just snow ever.

Out west where your from this tractor is probably looked at as a toy, to me it seams like a good size tractor.

An inclosed cab is a must, for any long term operation. My New Holland dealer set me up with one from curtis, they are easy to remove in the spring if needed.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 09-30-2000 at 02:52 AM]

3. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

This tractor cab is medium posh but it is factory nothing like a curtis or sims.I'm sure using a loader it might seem slow especially after running a authentic loader which is why I am just putting a blade on it.Did your new hollands have reversers if so where you able to find a good plowing gear? I am going to use this in several large apt complexes and subdivisions to plow the streets and drag out drives.

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Well, i stole my hydrolic power from the backhoe, granted you can't move the backhoe with out unhooking the plow controll. I used the feeder line to the backhoe, to a valve block that i added for the plow. If the tractor has a bucket, you can stack snow high and mighty, once you figure out how to tip the bucket in as ya raise (thats where speed is really a factor). I am useing an old (92 or 93) 9' fisher blade on each new holland. They are taken it rough in this application, i don't expect to get more than 3 years out of them. Before i need to get new blades or do some serious fab work.

Geoff

5. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

I grew up in a small farming community in N.D., population of around 200(one time over 700). Snow removal is accomplished with one of the county's road graders, a local's front end loader, plus a few local farmers with tractor mounted snowblowers. No pickup or truck mounted plows. There is however one guy who has a plow on a 4x4 tractor. He has a JD 7520, mid 70's vintage with a blade. When I farmed we had a couple of 7520's. They aren't your little front wheel assist tractors. They are center articulated tractors with duals on all four corners, 225 hp. A bit too early for hydrostatic transmissions, they came with a 8 speed with a hi-lo range giving 16 total speeds.

That tractor would flat out eat up the big Terex front end loader. I've plowed oil field lease roads with Case 580K's, and wished for something bigger like that old JD. Really wish I would have kept one of mine.

If you are looking at purchasing a tractor for snow removal, look into an old center articulated 4x4. They sell a lot cheaper than a newer front assist machine.

6. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I already own the tractor,the blade its going to get is a old highway blade they will last forever.This machine has the hydralic implement port on the back I will most likely just pipe them up front.If I wanted to put a loader on this it would have to be a quick mount farm loader and they just are not in the same caliber with a factory designed rubber tire loader or tractorhoe so I will most likly just put a blade mount on this machine.Jason the one problem I have heard about articulated farm tractors is that they are not designed to push from the front so the articulation point has a tendence to wear and become loose.The tractor I will be using is a straight framed.