1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4WD dash light/

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by vmj, Dec 18, 2013.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

2000 3500 ram 4wd light wasn't coming on in 4x then it was flickering when it was in 2x would stay lit for awhile in 2x ??????

2. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

On the front axle there is what's called a Central Axle Disconnect (or CAD) it is a vacuum operated collar that locks in the front axle. The light will not come on until the collar has fully engaged, if the light is not on your front axle isn't locked in and you don't have 4x4. The possible problems are bad vacuum motor, rusted or broken vacuum lines, or faulty vacuum switch in the transfer case. You'll have to get under the truck with a vacuum pump and or vacuum gauge to determine which is the problem. I had a similar problem a while back with a 1997 2500 and it turned out to be the vacuum motor, which is the hardest of the problems to fix. I would assume there are youtube video's showing how to do it if you were interested in tackling it yourself.

3. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

if it was a vacuum issue then whould it not go in and out of 4wd? it is going in and out.. Thanks

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Probably an issue with the computer, I wouldn't worry about it. If it bothers you put s piece of electrical tape over it.

5. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

The switch is on the front axle. Check the plug.

6. NicholasMWhite

It is going in and out precisely because it is a vacuum issue. Unlike an electrical component that either has 12 volts or none (in most cases) vacuum varies between 0 and 20 inches of vacuum depending on engine load and rpm. During high vacuum periods it could over come a leak (in either the lines or the vacuum motor diaphragm), half open switch, or a sticking vacuum motor. Vacuum is required to both engage and disengage the axle just on opposite sides of the vacuum motor so it could jump in and out regardless of shifter location.

7. NicholasMWhite

I hope this is a joke. Nothing in the system is computer controlled and if the 4wd light is not on then the front axle is not engaged and you don't have 4x4.

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

So you're saying when his light was flickering the four wheel drive was going in and out with every flash of the dash light....... Ok!

9. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I hope not!!!!

10. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

had no light at all.. tested plug end with jumper.. 4x light lit,so I put in new switch... still no 4x light!

11. NicholasMWhite

You need to check the vacuum system out. There is a switch in the tcase, a motor opposite the switch you replaced, and rubber/metal lines between the two.

12. quigleysiding

Which switch did you change ?

13. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

switch on front axel

14. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Try to make sure the linkage is adjusted as they get a little older it may have come out of aadjustment

15. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I will look at that

16. NicholasMWhite

I am going to break this down as far as I can, as I feel like a broken record.

Your problem lies in one of three places:

Vacuum Motor (see attached picture): this is located on the axle, opposite the indicator switch you recently replaced

Control switch (see attached picture): this is located on the transfer case. When the little silver ball is depressed by the pawl inside the transfer case it reverses the flow of vacuum to the opposite side of the vacuum motor and slides the collar to engage the front axle.

Vacuum lines: This seems self explanatory. They could be leaking from the engine to the control switch (including the check valve) or on either line from the control switch to the vacuum motor.

You need to get under the truck and do some testing with a vacuum pump or at least a vacuum gauge now. Your other option is to just keep throwing parts at it until something sticks but I assure you that your problem lies in one of those 3 places. I have quite a bit of experience fixing the 4x4 actuation on these trucks and have an extremely good grasp of how they operate.

CAD vacuum diagram.jpg

control switch.jpg

vacuum motor.JPG

diagram.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  17. quigleysiding

Is the truck going into 4x4. have you checked the vacum lines going to the actuator.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  18. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Thank you... That was all replaced two years ago.... Probably that again! I just droped off truck at a friends garage to have him look at it tomorrow!!

19. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

You forgot the most important part. CHECK THE COMPUTER!! LOL