1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4WD Conversion

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Matt563, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Matt563

Matt563 Junior Member
    from ky

I have a 1990 C2500 and want to drop the body on a 4wd frame. What years are interchangeable?

2. AmPlower

AmPlower Junior Member

Depends what you wanna take on yourself. 88-00 older body style truck 4x4 frames will work as long as you match the right body to the right frame, example, if you have a 8ft box std cab, dont use a ext cab short box frame or vice versa, use a 8ft box std cab frame or else the mounts wont line up, 73-87 frames will work as well, the box will bolt right on, however you will need to fab up new cab mounts, and possibly radiator support mounts. My buddy had a 88 body on a 87 frame and it was sweet. The older style frames give you a solid front axle, and higher ground clearence, you will also need to mount your gas tank o nthe inside of the frame as well like on your truck currently, the older frames had them on the outside of the frame rail, and when hit in an accident it could explode. It was changed with the body in '88. The combination of a low slung newer style frame, and using the body off it on a older pre 87 truck will make it sit high with no lift. for example. My buddys 88 had 4 in blocks front and rear, and a 3 in body, he had 36's under it and the tops of the tires came to the bottom of the fenders. Good luck with whatever frame you choose, ask if you have any questions, I've been toying with the idea of a newer body truck on a pre 88' frame and I've researched it

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

While the newer bosy on an older frame will work,it is not a bolt on affair.

1988 through the late 90's should bolt right up with minor modifications,like cutting for the 4WD shifter etc.Make sure you match up the wheelbases.