1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4way Flashers

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Brookside, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Brookside

Brookside Member

I have a '98 Chevy, and as with all our previous GMs, when you step on the brake the 4way flashers freeze. Our '04 Dodge keeps flashing, and I think the new GMs do, too. Does anybody know how to modify the flashers to continue flashing with the brake on?

2. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I have a '98 Chevy and had an '89 and on both, they flashers stop when the brakes come on - its a "feature" that I don't quite understand - I want to alert drivers that I am there unless I have the brakes on... go figure!

3. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

This is not something that is easily changed. These trucks use the same bulb (filament) for brake and turn. The newer Chevies have amber turn sgnals and they flash with the four ways.

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Based on what WFD44 said (which is correct) think about it- if the flashers did not stop when you step on the brakes noone would see you were stepping on the brakes.....

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

No, but you could have super duper bright flashers, and then normal lighted on the "off" blink. That way you could have brake lights and your flashers still going.

6. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

newer chevies have all red brake/turn....gmc's have amber part...i'm not sure when they went all red again but mine are all red on the '05

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

um, no think about that for a minute.

*Tail lights off and you're driving equals no lights.
    *Tail lights off and brakes equals bright filament on solid.
    *Tail lights off and directional equals alternating bright filament on and no light.
    *Tail lights ON and driving equals dim filament on
    *Tail lights on and brakes equals bright AND dim filament on causing the effect you only see the bright (brake) filament)
    *Tail lights on and directional equals alternating bright and dim filament.
    Since the brake light and the directional use the same filament if the brakes are on with the directional on the directional in use still flashes because the other side can STILL show brake use as in left directional flashes bright and off and right side is solid bright for brakes which still indicates both situations.

If you now have flashers on, which is directionals on both sides at the same time if they both flash bright and off (taillights off) then you step on the brake the brake overrides the flasher showing the brake since ther is no other light to provide dominant brake indication (3rd indicator hss proved useless on it's own) so you loose flasher indication in the rear. Say the flasher had dominance which would mean the taillights keep flashing from bright to off (again taillights off)- this would not inform anyone that you were stepping on the brakes! it would be the same as if you were driving with the flashers on- safety issue.

Now with the tail lights on it only changes that the flashing pattern goes from bright to dim instead of bright to off- dim tailights don;t indicate anything other than vehicle location- we all know that because it's ingrained in our minds from childhood watching other cars. Changing it would be next to impossible as well as unneeded. There needs to be a rear location light- which is the tail light. Europeans solved this by havine amber or orange directionals on the rear as well, which are the flashers and directionals. Domestic manufacturer's have refused to do that. Brighter bulbs make no difference, nor does changing the sequence. If you want rear warning while driving use warning lights (which you already do anyway I imagine) or by a European truck.