1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4Lo Engaging

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by J29, Feb 22, 2006.

1. J29

J29 Senior Member

I was hoping someone could help me out with a question I have. My buddy just bought a 2005 1500 Silverado with the 4.8 V8, automatic tranny, and the floor shifted four wheel drive. Are chevys like fords where you have to shift the tranny into neutral before shifting the transfer case into neutral or 4Lo?? He got the truck used and it does not have the owner's manual. If anyone could answer this, we both would really appreciate it. He didn't want to try it yet for fear of causing possible damage by doing it the wrong way. Thanks in advance for the help. J.
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Not sure for the new models, but for the older models shift the tranny into neutral and set the emergency brake.
  3. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Yes stop the truck completly, put it in neutral then move floor selector to Neutral (n) or 4lo. Same to take it out.
  4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

The best way to get into low range is be rolling 1-3mph and in neutral and just shift it all the way in without stopping, same for getting out. Gears can't mesh unless they are moving a little.
  5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

is it not going into the gear like is it physically impossible to put the shifter in that spot or is the shifter going into the spot adn its just not engaging
  6. J29

J29 Senior Member

We just tried it like everyone has said...no problem getting it into 4Hi...so we then put the tranny in neutral and put the ebrake on. No problem getting the transfer case into neutral, but it started grinding when putting it in 4Lo, so we popped it back into neutral right away. Then it fought us to get back into 2Hi, and ground a little more going back in. So we're a little hesitant to try again, since grinding is never good. The truck only has 16k on it, but was bought at an auction, so have no idea about previous owner(s). Does not have a trailer hitch or plow, so can't imagine it was worked too hard in 4x4...but one never knows. Guess he'll have to bring it to the local Chevy dealer to have it checked. Thanks everyone for their insight, please let me know if you can think of anything else. I have never owned a GM pickup and have limited knowledge of them...is this maybe a common problem...or is my buddy just unlucky?? Thanks guys...J.
  7. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Did you try it rolling?
    The other way to do it if you can't be moving is shut the truck off in nuetral and shift it into 4lo.
  8. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

the newer trucks wont go in lo range while moving, at least none i have driven. I would check the oil in the transfer case and tranny. shouldnt make a difference to get it in but its a start.
  9. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

Should never grind if the tranny is in neutral. Did you wait a sec while the t-case was in neutral for everything to stop whirring around? I never have had a problem with anything from 1986-2005 if I have the tranny in neutral and the truck rolling ever so slightly. Only problem I have is at a dead stop, wont engage 4-Lo sometimes.

Good Luck!!
  10. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

The truck has to be rolling under 5mph to engage 4 Lo. Shift the trans into neutral, then the t-case, pause a sec, shift into 4 lo.
  11. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

this reminds me of my problem..i have an 83 chevy k10...i can't engage 4lo either...should i be moving slowly too? thanks
  12. J29

J29 Senior Member

4Lo Update

Hey guys...
    I really appreciate the fact that everyone took time to try and help us out. Just another reason why I'm glad I joined this site. Anyways...we tried to engage it with the truck rolling a little bit and found it much easier, without any grinding. Also found that shifting in a quick motion without hesitation helped too. The fluid for both the tranny and tcase checked out fine. He never really plans on using 4lo, but just wanted to make sure he knew how to engage it properly just in case. Thanks again for the help...J.