1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4l80e swap to a 4l60e

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CSC Contracting, Nov 22, 2011.

1. CSC Contracting

CSC Contracting Senior Member

Does anyone know if a 4l80e and a 4l60e are interchangable I know it will bolt up but will if work with electronics/ driveshafts etc...

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That transmission swap would be a terrible mistake. A used 4L60 is not going to hold up well to your usage. Plus you would need a different transfer case and driveshafts.

3. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

x2

I looked into this and the gains are not going to be worth it; first off the 4l60e is a weaker tranny unless you build it to "4l65e" specs. plus they are different lengths, hence different driveshaft. depending on the t-case you might be able to keep the same one, but the wire plugs will be different most likely...better off just rebuilding the 4l80e as it is stronger anyway. as long as you do maintenance on it, use a good shift pattern for plowing (i.e. r to 1) it should hold up just fine. Also make sure the u joints are in good shape as well as any carrier bearings on the driveshaft as the excessive vibrations will wreck havoc on a transfer case and tranny as well.

4. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Just rebuild the 80. You'll be alot happier that you did.

5. CSC Contracting

CSC Contracting Senior Member

thanks guys rebuild it is..