1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4l80E Shiftng Hard!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by M & MD Lawn, Jul 25, 2011.

1. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I was leaving the fert. shop today and pull out into traffic and going through first gear BAM it slams into first so I tap on the brake like to say wth? So I keep driving and it again does it in 1st then 2nd then 3rd and after third u could tell the engine seemed like it didnt have a load on it, engine sound was quite. it shifted when it was supposed to but it was hard, like jerk the truck hard, any ideas whats going on???? And its due to get the plow on end of this week beginning of next. It has 213,000 and some change on it, this is the first time this has ever happened.

2. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

Sounds like you have a trans malfunction code set. This will not trigger the ses light but will show a code if you have the computer scanned. A trans malfunction code set causes the trans to go into fail safe mode where max line pressure has to be reached before the shift will occur resulting in a hard feeling shift. Believe it or not this is how gm designed it to prevent further damage to the trans. I would have the computer scanned asap.

3. M & MD Lawn

Thanks! Taking it to the shop in the am, I parked it for the rest of the evening after that jerk

4. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

If it doesnt do it driving to the shop still take it in. They sometimes will come out of fail safe mode with a cycle of the key but the code will still be set in the computer for the tech to look at.

5. M & MD Lawn

It didn't do it at all on the way to the shop.. waiting to hear back form them

6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Every once in a great while mine will do that...a really fast hard shift 1-2 at light throttle. I've been ignoring it for years.

7. M & MD Lawn

They called me this morning, he's going to replace the eps, trans solenoid, and another one I believe, he is also going to turn the eps up 1/16 of a turn and that will help it out he said, and he is checking to see if it actually has a auxillary trans cooler or not, if not I will be adding one..any recommendations on type of cooler (brand)

8. M & MD Lawn

O and also the TPS, he said that can effect too

9. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

Mine has a factory cooler on it so haven't researched them.

10. M & MD Lawn

yea it has that, but this would be in addition from what I am told

11. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

Previous owner installed an after market trans temp gauge and it's never gotten hot on me that I'm concerned about mine.

12. M & MD Lawn

I have to see about getting one installed, have to find somebody, I have no clue how lol