1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4l80e only want to go forward even in neutral!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bow2no1, Dec 20, 2011.

1. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i just picked up a 02 gmc 2500hd for parts!

the truck is a bit beat up, but over all not to bad.

the story is the truck only goes forward! even in neutral!
    has NO reverse at all.

the gut i bought it from and said he had the transmission looked at. he was told the clutches are stuck together.....has anyone heard of this? or can confirm the is the problem?
  2. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Such a young vehicle to be trashed already. Fix that thing and get it back on the road.
  3. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Yup! forward clutchs melted together, pull the dipstick the smell should make you gag!
    Its from having the crap beat out of it! payup
  4. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

oh well, i was hoping fro a easy fix.
    the truck is going to be for parts either way.
    i was just hoping to have a spare transmission, maybe i'll pull it and have it rebuilt?
  5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Ya, should be a good candidate for a rebuild. Just make sure that you get that tranny, lines, valve body, and pump flushed VERY good. I would just replace the torque converter.
  6. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

yeah, i think i might have it rebuilt for the truck i drive.
    my truck has 166,000 miles. inevitably it's going to go.

a friend of mine rebuilds tranny's...i talked to him a while ago he said he would cut me a really good deal. i also have a deep aluminum pan i have been saving for when i put a new trans in.
  7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

nothin to be worried about plan on spending around $1500 to have a trans shop do the work.

Very typical for those 4L80's
  8. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

umm no....
  9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

gunna do it yourself?
  10. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i have a friend that helps me out, he has all the tools.
    i wouldn't mind trying it, but i don't have the right tools. i have rebuilt several engines. all still running! must have done somthing right. lol
  11. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

lol for a minuet i thought i was logged into a different account, cause i say that alot. i would judt get it rebuilt and have some hd stuff installed.
  12. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Have you considered slapping in a junkyard transmission? Then it's a small, inexpensive job (relatively) and you end up with a whole truck worth driving.
  13. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

it's not worth it.
    it's worth more as a parts truck to me then worth driving.

my truck i'm driving had 166,000 miles. i use it for plowing and sanding also hauling my 20' trailer.
    i paid 650 for the truck with the bad trans. the parts it offers will keep my truck on the road for a long time to come. also the body is all dented up passengers side door is messed up.

on top of that i just bought a 97 2500 dodge dam. thats worth fixing. i rather put the money in to that....even though it is a Dodge.... i bought it right. thats the only reason i have it.