1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4l80e not downshifting

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jb1390, Jan 27, 2011.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

What the title says....I can manually select a range, and the truck will go to that gear after quickly cycling through the others. I an manually downshift-from OD to 3 to 2nd, by moving the lever. It won't jump on its own due to engine load/speed, even to the point that it will almost stall out the truck. No check engine light.

Transmission was rebuilt 2 years ago. I just did a fluid change about a week ago...shifts are smooth and everything feels normal except for it not downshifting on its own like it should.

2. Davidl79

Davidl79 Junior Member

3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

That is some wonderful information. Thank you very much Davidl79.

For now-the truck seems to be acting just fine. I am going to change the fluid again once we get a lull in weather-and change the filter as well. Looks like it could be as simple as a little crud getting stuck in a valve-adding clean fluid maybe loosened something up causing this issue. I'll keep my fingers crossed for now-the tranny is only a couple years old, I certainly hope they last longer than that between rebuilds.

4. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

mine has gone 200,000 with out a rebuild FWIW