1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4L80E, No Overdrive

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SubUrbanMonster, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SubUrbanMonster

SubUrbanMonster Junior Member

So I've found a few posts here, and I have a detailed Idea of whats causing my no overdrive problem. So far, I've determined that its not a major internal hard part failure. In OD, truck shifts smooth through First, second and third, just wont shift to overdrive. Fluid is clean, no metal shavings, no burnt appearance or smell. To be quite honest, the trans looks great inside the pan. The trans shop guy said the transmission was rebuild a few years ago, which is good, trucks got 208k on her. However, hes trying to tell me the trans needs a full rebuild, but he also tells me losing overdrive has nothing to do with the TCC solenoid period, he swears its a hard part, but. I'm not about to spend 2200 on something i shouldnt need, especially since I dont have that money to spend right now. Trans shifts great, no hard shifts, no delays, no slipping, and no codes popping up. Just wont shift into 4th gear. I've cleaned the plug on side of trans, I've flushed trans, no change. Im looking to order some normal parts for me to install so I can get my over drive back, and hopefully get my trans to last me until I can afford to get my new one, happy birthday me :)

so far, I'm ordering a TCC Solenoid, and im looking to order a rebuild kit for the valve body, as Im told when I lose overdrive its due to the AFL valve (the valve that controls lockup). Id like to also install all new shift solenoids since I'll be down there anyways, looking into a stage 2 shift kit, but im told it can lower the life expectantcy on the trans, and since i got the truck on a lien sale and dont know the history, id wrather be safe than sorry and keep it running and driving well until I can afford the transmission/transfercase replacement at the end of summer.

Or is it possible that my problem is caused by something else? I've already been through several eliminating procedures. I'm looking into these parts from Sonnax:

TCC Regulator Valve Kit
    Part Number: 34994-01K
    or:
    Part Number: 34994-18K

The difference is 18K comes with a valve sleeve and retaining pin

Id like to purchase these part number add ons to the Regulator Valve Kit:

Part Number: 34994-TL18, comes with Reamer, Reamer Jig, and guide pin.

All i'm trying to do is get my overdrive back and continue my daily driving.
    Any adivce guys?

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Does it ever work? When mine was going bad, it worked fine in the morning until the trans got up to temp, then it started slipping. Exact same place everyday it would slip out of OD. It was a matter of the fluid getting warm and thin enough to leak past the AFL valve. If yours never works it could be something else, or it's just leaking so bad the thicker cold fluid is passing by it too. Maybe if you have been driving it a long time like that.
    Don't put in a shift kit, the Sonnax kit comes with instructions to "firm up" the shifts by boring a certain hole. You peen it down and redrill it smaller, pretty easy actually. Mine hits the 1-2 shift pretty darn hard. Almost scary hard, depending on what rpm you hit it at. I have a B&M Shiftplus electronic adjustable shift kit too, which worked well but after modifying the shift in the tranny I keep the Shiftplus turned off.
    . Message sent.

3. Detroitdan

Also, I've heard shift kits extend tranny life. The faster the shift occurs, the less time for heat to be created.

What exactly do you have for a vehicle? I'm not sure you've got a 4l80e, most Subs had 4l60e. If it's a diesel you might, but just make certain what it is before you order anything.

4. SubUrbanMonster

I deff have a 4L80E. Its a 93 Suburban 4x4 8 lug 2500. Shes got a small block in it, but its a GVWR of 8600, and I dont see them puttin no 700R4 in that big of a truck, havent heard of that since 6.2 diesel suburbans in the 80's. I know they put 4L60E's in half ton suburbans. According to my research, the look of the trans, and the shops ive taken it to, its a 4L80E, unless of course these trans shops are as shifty as they look.

5. SubUrbanMonster

Also, It just plain doesnt work. It doesnt engage periord. Otherwise, not a single issue at all. I was first told to just order a TCC Solenoid and replace it, clean the trans plug, and thatll be the solution.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

It is for sure an 80E. GM started using the 80E in 91 on the 3/4 and one ton trucks. Before that was the good ole TH400. 93 was the first year for the 4L60E. Sounds very doubtful that it is a major internal hard part. Could be a screwey solenoid or that afl valve.

7. Detroitdan

Have you done that yet? What have you actually done so far? There are several things I tried before getting to the surecure, first was tcc solenoid, then shift solenoids, then trans temp sender, o-ring for trans electrical plug, etc.
    Mine worked thru all the gears, but in OD the tcc would disengage after a couple miles. I could still drive it in OD, I didn't have to shift into 3rd (D). I just had a slight increase in rpm. Can you drive in OD still?

8. SubUrbanMonster

In overdrive It drives great, as if theres no problem what-so-ever. Shifts smooth and right on time all the way through gears, but overdrive doesnt engage. At 60, I'm pullin close to 2500RPM's. I just bought the truck recently. Needs work, on a side note, I got the front wheels off her last night to do upper ball joints, and i come to find out I have no caliper bolts, my calipers were just hangin around on the rotar. The genius that had this truck prior amazes me more and more every day.

So far, I've cleaned the plug, and changed fluid and filter, and have had several idiot trans guys dick me around. Id love to get these parts ordered ASAP, hopefully today, so guys please tell me what you think. I'm taking it to a friends shop and hopefully his trans guy will know a little more.

9. SubUrbanMonster

so its been a little, been workin alot of overtime and im just now starting to continue working on the pile. update time. i took it to my buddies trans guy, he ran a diagnostic on it, but the computer was reading my trans as a 4L60e, but my trans is CLEARLY a 4L80e. gm dealer ran the code on my ecm and it doesnt match my vin. dealer said a new one would run me 240, which is WAY less than i expected. now, im still way behind in bills, so before i go to throw 250 on a new one, i located one at pick-a-part, and half price weekend starts this friday. i hid the ecm i found (its off a 1991 2 wheel drive, 8 lug 350 tbi with a 4L80e) and with half price day, its only 28 bucks, so this friday ill be there at opening gona pick it up throw it in and test drive her after she warms up, and if i get my overdrive back and she runs and drives fine i will deffinately have justified the missed overtime and the 40 minute drive. if not, well the ecm brand news only 240, so ill get the matching vin ecm for the suburban.

10. SubUrbanMonster

side note, idiot ase (ass) certified friend attempted to fix by running jump wire from vw bug battery straight to trans fuse after discovering now power to pin e on trans harness plug. send my trans into limp mode, stayed in limp until ecm was reset. after that, i attempted to trouble shoot further, installed a ECT sensor and ignition switch, which got me know where EXCEPT now in 2nd and 3rd on the shift collum, truck acts like its in 2nd for both, and overdrive gives me all 3 gears, which is no change at all from the original problem. still not throwing any codes. shift linkage? something in collum from dropping down for the ignition switch? ignition switch no correctly installed maybe? any advice would be GREATLY appreciated guys. THANKS!

11. cool78259

cool78259 Junior Member
    from texas

4l80e no od fix

the tps throttle positioning sensor will keep your transmission from switching to od. i have a 93 chevy 6.5td with a 4l80e.. I also have a fix that will bypass the tps and allow your truck to go into od until repairs can be made.

12. cool78259

cool78259 Junior Member
    from texas

4l80e no od

the transmission control module has to see a signal voltage from the tps between .04 and .05 volts. to allow the transmission to change to od. the tps costs about 160.00 at most autoparts. i had the same problem i changed the tcm w/cpu rebuilt my tranny had frequent transmission fluid changes. but after extensive troubleshooting. it was the tps. when i would drive it, on 1st take off the trans would work great, but then it would bog down and i could not get it to go past 50 mph.. let it cool down and it would work again. it was like a broken record. the tps was getting hot and losing its reference signal to the tcm and falling out of od.

13. cool78259

cool78259 Junior Member
    from texas

look at my post it will solve your problem

14. cool78259

cool78259 Junior Member
    from texas

the location of the tps, attached to the left of the injector pump on a 6.5 turbo diesel c3500.

15. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Why does this myth persist ? shifting has no tangible effect on heat creation.

16. MI Green

MI Green Member

I am going to resurect this old post. I have a 93 6.5 and I was losing 4th and torque lockup at 175 trans temp and all I had to do is flick the igition on and off and it would come back till 180 then I could not get it back. Now it won't go I to either at any temp. Ive only had this truck a week and it was an issue with the last guy. Anyone have more ideas?

17. cool78259

cool78259 Junior Member
    from texas

I have a 93 one ton chevy with a 4l80e , my truck would not go into third gear or overdrive. I bought a transmission Manuel on the 4l80e . Make a long story short I drained transmission fluid, pulled cover and replaced solinoid B controls third,4th and overdrive. Once I did that now it shifts like a new truck. It's no rocket science with the directions. Good luck!

18. MI Green

MI Green Member

Is that considered the 2-3 when you buy it?

19. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

Im no pro at it but i've heard guys talking about ignition switches go bad and therefore issues with tranny shifting on 4l80e-s.

20. MI Green

MI Green Member

Ya I've read about 6 causes that could make my symptoms

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.