1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4L80E Life

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BlizzardBeater, Jul 20, 2011.

1. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

How many miles did everybody's factory 4L80E last? Not really of any importance, just curious. I've got 53,000 on the 05 and 175,000 on the 03 and both are still original.

2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

nearing 143k on my 00 2500. No issies yet.

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on who drives them and their maintenance. I've seen guys take them out in under 50k and 4 years.

4. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

157,000 on my 97. I don't think it's been touched.

5. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

The one in my 98 K2500 was rebuilt at 240,000. It was worked hard from new, it's all in how you look after them.

6. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I have 104,000 miles on the 4L80E in my 98 K3500 but I bought it used with 94,600 miles on it so I don't know it's complete history.

I had someone run my VIN through GM's inquiry system and it showed that the tranny valve body was R&R or replaced along with the PCM at 20,230 miles.

I changed the tranny fluid and filter when I first bought it and drained and refilled the tranny a few thousand miles later just to get as much of the old fluid out as I could. So far, tranny still shifts good.

Wayne

7. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

Mine just started acting up the other day waiting to hear back from the shop but if its time to rebuild i got 214,000 and some change out of mine

8. younggun86

younggun86 Junior Member

83k on an 04. started going into limp mode after 35 miles around 82k. just curious but what have you guys paid to have it replaced? i got a quote for 3000 if i provide the fluid myself.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Should be able to get a top quality local rebuild with warranty for about 2K or less. And that will include fluid LOL.

10. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

193,000, still factory 4L80e (and i have a plow on the truck -2000 2500 chevy) still shifts great. I think the key was fluid and filter service and not banging from reverse to drive...

11. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

My cousin use to have a 97 6.5 turbo diesel with the 4l80 behind it and I had to pull it at 160k about. Had my tranny guy rebuild and beef up the trans with a new converter for 1300 bucks, I had to do the labor with pulling and installing but I was ok with that.

12. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

my father inlaw has a 96 with a big ass western. He is rebuilding the trans every 2 years.

13. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

He needs to find someone else to rebuild them. Or, find someone else to drive the truck... Or both.

14. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree. Unless he's putting an ungodly amount of plowing miles on that doesnt make sense. Are they flushing all the old fluid out?

15. bswalks

bswalks Member

100k on my '05. Hauls 20' equipment trailer all summer,
    & plow & sander all winter. It's been serviced 3 times,
    last time, 100% flush. I think the biggest thing is to watch
    the temp. gauge & don't treat it like a skid steer, by pushing
    banks back too far in winter.
    I too would find another rebuilder, or look into
    new trans, of trucks worth the investment.

16. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Bought my '98 2500 with 62k on it. Trans replaced around 95k. Lost reverse - but that was my fault... got stuck and smoked it getting out. was able to finish the night luckily.

17. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I had a 2000 1 ton Sierra regular cab long box carryover 5.7L and 4L80 that I had troubles with since it was new. It would intermittently go into overdrive, then jump back to 3rd and right back into overdrive/lock-up. It was in the shop (dealer) at least every other month but they could never duplicate the problem. Finely at 44k a catastrophic failure. GM did "Goodwill" the trans so it didn't cost me anything. I got the truck back and it wasn't two weeks later, same thing was happening again od/3rd/od-lock-up. I call GM customer care and this was their response: "We (GM) feel that at 44k miles we replaced the transmission in your truck free of charge, so if you have another failure at 88k miles you have reached the useful life of your transmission." Needless to say, I will never buy another NEW GM work truck (I'll stick with our superduty for any real work) and maybe explains the GM and Chrysler BAILOUTS. I now have no problem buying a used truck and taking the chance it may have to have major repairs, I can usually find a few year old truck with higher mileage for about half the price (or less) of new, so a couple grand isn't a big deal for repairs with that kind of savings.

18. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I do believe its operator error :nod:

also, his engine lost compression on 5,6 this spring :laughing:

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Banging from reverse to first is the key......

20. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

These trannies are actually quite strong. Seeing them with high miles is normal but again it depend on the driver, his abilities and the maintenance. These trannies are stronger than the old TH400 and with overdrive to boot. They are even run behind the detuned duramax in the vans.