1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4L80E getting hot

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by younggun86, Aug 27, 2011.

1. younggun86

younggun86 Junior Member

i noticed about a year ago that my truck would do the 1st gear solenoid hiccup on occasion. about a month ago, i had to run to the hospital so i stuck it in 3rd and boogied. i didn't drive all weekend and it was fine on the drive in. i loaded up with about 1600lbs of fire extinguishers and noticed when i got to the hanson gravel pit, it was well over 200. I went on to the next stop and it went into limp mode. i drove it like that for two days then changed fluid/filter. filter was clean and sediment was normal in the bottom. fluid flow is normal and i put an aftermarket cooler on it. i read some stuff on here about solenoids going bad and wondered if that could be causing my problems. i also read online that the fins in the converter like to come loose and rub on the housing.