1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4L80 Slip

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BlizzardBeater, Jul 22, 2011.

1. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I just noticed this last night for the second time, with no load. I was at a stop light and it turned green. I applied throttle lighty ( Im accused of driving like an old man), the motor accelerated but the transfer of power was delayed. It felt like the tranny slipped for a second and then caught. I remember talking about this with someone awhile back on their truck but cant for the life of me remember what the issue was. I searched on here but found nothing describing my issue. Can anybody enlighten me?

Truck is a 2005 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L/4L80 52,000 miles.

2. Stan

Stan Senior Member

It could be the 1-2 solenoid if it slipped in those gears. GM part #24230288 if it slips in 2-3 the solenoid part #24230289.
    I would try hooking up a scanner for any codes first. Codes will detect faulty solenoids including the TPS.

It could be the TPS (throttle position sensor). I have had that happen to me. Then 6 months later same thing. Truck went to a tranny shop and they replaced both solenoids. Worked fine for another 6 months. I replaced both solenoids....same thing. Then I replaced the TPS again...not a change. Gave up and will deal with it next month.

3. klem

klem Junior Member
    from Chicago

I have an '04 2500hd with the same exact concern. I'm a tech myself, but there are no codes and cannot figure it out. It happened to me twice within the past 3 years, (so i shouldn't be losing sleep over it) but no cel on, and no codes stored or pending. Even with the scanner hooked up on a test drive, nothing is showing to be abnormal. If I figure it out, i'll post it up here first.

4. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Well here's the verdict....
    Truck went to the tranny shop which at first seemed like an electrical issue. Turned out to more of a pressure related problem due to old age and miles. First sign before any of this happened was sluggish shifts when cold. Seals and clutches were the culprit which the computer sensed commanding the transmission into fail safe mode. Hope this helps anyone researching their problem.

5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

This is on my 05 with 50000 miles.