1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4l80 problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BigLou80, Feb 12, 2013.

1. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Truck : 2002 2500HD 6.0 4wd with the 4l80 and 230,000 miles
    About two weeks ago I had the reverse band replaced ( although he said the old one wasn't broken and looked OK) along with a new torque converter, truck has run fine through one small small storm and our 20"+ dump last weekend. Temps were normal all shifts seem prompt and normal no slipping that I can detect. the only two exceptions to every thing being normal are the truck has seems slightly held back or under powered when climbing hills and when I first picked it up from the transmission shop after it was sitting for 2 days it seemed to take 1 second longer then usual to go in to gear, which i never noticed again.

I did some clean ups yesterday afternoon and it was business as usual, this morning I let the truck warm up like I usually do put it in to reverse and NOTHING not even an attempt at moving, the same goes for all forward gears zip zero nada. I walk around the truck and notice a nice puddle of transmission fluid on the ground. I can't say for sure if the puddle was or wasn't there before I tried to put the truck in to gear but my guess is no as it was very noticeable. The truck won't move an inch and the dip stick is reading about 1.5" above the hot fill level with a cold tranny. Unless some one decided to over fill my transmission last night while I slept It's not actually overfilled as I decided to double check the shops work when I got the truck back 2 weeks ago and it was spot on.

The guy who replaced the band is in his 70's just had surgery and may never return to the shop. I have a call in to him but he was just released from the hospital a few days ago . So the odd's of him dealing with it before next winter are slim. The dealer ship is the only other place in town willing to work on a transmission instead of just replacing it

Any thoughts on what might have suddenly caused this and how hard it would be to fix. I already know the dealer want's to do a complete rebuild based on mileage, even though the guy who did the band said he has never seen a transmission with so many miles look that good inside and he asked if I ran synthetic fluid which I do
  2. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Engine running or off? I'm betting off. If you check with the engine running I think you'll find it very low.

Did you look for where the puddle came from?
  3. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Im fairly certain the truck was running, I didn't discover that a parts changer did but Im assuming he was smart enough to check with the truck running

I did crawl under neath and look for the leak with the truck off and I found a few wet spots but no smoking guns the parts changer said it was leaking from the fill tube
    I had initially assumed it was just a cooler line and it was to low on fluid to move but the cooler lines seem ok
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013