1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4l60e

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Cooter24, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I have a 4l60e in a 96 k1500. I believe the 3-4 clutch pack is done for. Will it cause more damage if we continue to use it?

2. 98K3500

98K3500 Member
    from WI

Generally speaking any auto trans that starts having "issues" is not long for this world. Some will run a long time before dying, others will drop dead in a hurry.

Unfortunately there's no way to foretell what yours will do, and repair will not be cheap.

:(

3. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I am unsure if we will even fix this truck at this point. Just don't want to get stranded.

4. 98K3500

98K3500 Member
    from WI

I hear you.

Always a tough call as to fix or replace. If the rest of the unit is solid, it's. Almost always cheaper to fix though.

Good luck!

Tom

5. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

If it is a solid truck a g ood tra mm d shoulf get you out the door fot under 1800 $ or you could get a used lkq unit for under a g a replace it yourself. The input drum has an issue

6. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

The truck has 280,000 mi on it. Runs good still and doesn't use oil surprisingly. A friend will pull and replace the 3-4 clutch pack for $800. Pry won't fix this one this time. Anyone not need a truck?