1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4L60E trans problem... HELP PLEASE?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by FLASHMAN, Jan 12, 2009.

1. FLASHMAN

FLASHMAN Member

Ok, so no sooner do I get my alternator saga worked out, now I've got a trans issue developing. During one of my dirt driveway jobs yesterday, I hit a patch of ice in reverse, all 4 started to spin, and before I let off the gas, I heard a little clunk in the tranny. Now reverse, and first gear, (the two most used when I plow of course), are whining like hell. as soon as the truck shifts into second, the noise goes away.

I've got over 116k on the truck, so I suppose it's probably time for a rebuild, with maybe a couple of HD enhancements. I know there's a lot of rebuilders out there, and I've seen PLENTY of companies selling them with no core charge for around $750.

With all the cumulative experience here, I would assume many guys on here would know where I can go for a good, reputable, well-built HD tranny... Thanks in advance...

2. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'd find a good tranny shop, and befriend one of their builders. you may get lucky. I found a guy to build the 4l60e in my S-10 for $600, including a 2 year warranty. he even added a shift kit, and other goodies so that it could live behind a V8.
    good luck!

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I personally don't have tranie's rebuilt anymore after a shop installed my drive shaft backwords. I just go to local gm shop and get a rebuilt. around 1800 for rebuilt and install myself. 3 yr 36000 mile warenty.

4. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

i just tore my 96 4l60e down because the same reason. It is the planetary gears these are known for this. around 2000 gm switched from a 4 gear setup to a 5 gear and that fixed this problem from happening. for me its nothing to tear down if you can rebuild an engine this is no biggy. It requires pulling the trans taking the valve body off then pulling the front off the trans, there are a couple clip rings and such then the band assembly comes out all in one piece, then you will see your planetary gears. Some times it can be the sun shell and it is the same process

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  5. FLASHMAN

FLASHMAN Member

Thanks for the replies... If it were summer, I'd probably take it on myself... But right now, I can't afford a mistake... I found a very highly reccommended transmission in Shrewsbury, MA that'll do a complete rebuild with kevlar band and HD everything, plus add a HD cooler for $1700 in and out, labor included.

I did call 5 other tranny shops, they were all more expensive, and none of them had the reccommendations of these guys... Any Central MA guys familiar with Shrewsbury Transmission???

6. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

just make sure hey put planetary gear set in that are 5 gear not 4 gear

7. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

just make sure hey put planetary gear set in that are 5 gear not 4 gear

8. FLASHMAN

FLASHMAN Member

Hmmm, I was told that it was the old style sun shell that was the most common problem, and they switched to a hardened unit to fix that... and the planetary was secondary... Either way, they do use the 5 gear planetary AND the hardened sun shell, so that, combined with the high energy band, and everything else, I should be ok with these guys...