1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4l60e ISSUES

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by boxerplowing, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Hey Everyone.. I have a 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4.8L V8 Auto 4x4... The tranny wont go into third.. i am still plowing with it because i can put it in 2nd and drive until about 60kms then i switch to drive to skip 3rd and im fine.. i do want to get a new tranny for it so i can drive like a normal person :) my question is.. without any serious modifactions.. what year trannys can i use? i know the 4l60e has been used for years and years but only certian ones will fit.. does anyone know for sure?

2. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

This might not help but after I got my 2000 1500 5.3L tranny hooked up to the machine and flushed/rinsed out the mechanic didn't fill it up enough and on the way home it wouldn't go into overdrive. So I drove it back, spent more time and they were nice enough to top it off for me. Worked fine after that like it always had. Check fluid?

3. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Good chance its only electrical if its only third. Definately worth looking into. Try unplugging the electrical connector at the trans. This will put it into limp which is 3rd gear (it'll bypass all the electrical controls). That will tell you whether or not you actually have third. If that works theres a good possibility its your 2-3 shift solenoid. Diagnose your problem. If its electrical, you'll go through all the work of replacing the trans only to find out it does the same thing. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  4. I will try that tomorrow.. I'd be pumped if that's all it was! mechanic said it was the tranny but didn't really look it over well...

5. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Post your results, hopefully we can get it figured out for you