1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4cyl auto

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by roachy, Oct 16, 2010.

1. roachy

roachy Member
    from NJ

Ive heard a lot of mixed results about plowing with a 4cyl. Wanted to know if there was any difference between plowing with a manual or auto. Want to know if anyone has had luck plowing with a 4cyl auto.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The 4 Cyl is the only engine that the plow makers recommend (it's lighter) Lots of people plow with the 4 Cyl, and the Auto.

I dont, But I'm not normal:waving::eek::jester:

3. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

When you plow, you'll be in low range, therefore you will have plenty of power. I have a Toyota truck with a pretty weak carbureted 4 cyl, with a 6.5' tall Western plow and power was never a problem while plowing. Traction wasn't either.

MLG

4. taterntot101

taterntot101 Junior Member

I have a '98 with a 4 cyl, auto, and 2" lift... no problems, just know your limitations

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have the 6 Cyl and I rarely use low range

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Plowed last winter with a 4 cyl 5 speed, this year its a 6 cyl with a 5 speed. They make great driveway and small lot plow trucks. They don't work well on large lots though.

Regards Mike

7. taterntot101

taterntot101 Junior Member

x2 on rarely use low range

8. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

X3...only in really heavy or...hairy...conditions.

I thought I read heard somewhere that the 4cyl atuo was NOT recommended by Jeep to plow with??????

9. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

I use the low range when pushing around objects carefully, hardscapes around driveways, around doors, etc. Also it helps when stacking heavy snow, the slower speed gives me some control. The downside is reverse, painfully too slow. 4 cyl, with 5 speed.

10. hillbillydeluxe

hillbillydeluxe Senior Member

keeping this thread alive... I'm looking to buy another wrangler... this one is the 4 cyl. auto...... can it handle a fisher SD? or should I forget it and look only for a 4.0?

11. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

I would ask PlowMeister, he seems to know his Jeeps. Of course the 4.0 would be better, I know many plow with the 2.5 and 5 speed-- no problem. It is the auto I don't know much about.

12. Subseven

Subseven Member

Love Jeeps!