1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4800 lb. front axle to 6000 lb.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the_md81, Dec 23, 2012.

1. the_md81

the_md81 Junior Member
    from 53045

Howdy all, new to the site.

I have an 06 Chevy 2500 HD crew cab, long bed. She has the d-max and the ally but she only has a 4800 pound front axle. I'm compensating for this by cranking up the torsion bars but I'm wondering if anybody knows if it's possible to put a 6000 pound front axle on the 06 3/4 tons and if so what a ballpark price is...

Have an 8'2 Boss V Plow on her.
    Thanks ussmileyflag
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Even if you put a bigger axle in, it doesn't mean the truck will be any stronger.

3. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

You're not gonna be able to change the rating on the door jamb. My truck is an '06 ccsb dmax and holds a 9' boss v just fine with only a few cranks on the tbars and timbrens
  4. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Cranking up your Tbars does NOT increase your weight. All it does is raise the front of your truck 1turn =1/4" DO NOT MAX THEM OUT AT 5 TURNS and. Then go get your truck aligned
  5. SMiller

SMiller Member
    from IN

You are not going to put the 6,000lbs front axle under the older truck.

With the bars cranked and Timbren's you will be fine. Do you have the plate behind the upper control arm that keeps the frame from cracking? Transfer case pump rub fix?
  6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Not saying it can't be done but the money you would throw at it would just be better spent if you just bought the newer truck with the 6K lb. axle already installed.Myself and thousands of others have the 9-2 er Boss with no issues on the 4800 lb. axle so there's no reason to be paranoid with your 8-2 er.
  7. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

No issues with mine so far. No cracks yet at least that i can see, no pump rub issue either at 142k miles and this will be the 7th yr plowing. I do have tie rod sleeves though and glad to have them, i know i would have kinked the steering by now otherwise.
  8. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Theres a totaly diffrent frame and place the t-bars connect to the crossmember not to mention the the A-frames a diffrent also. It would be just as easy to put new a 6K GM front end on a Ford (no more deathwobble) as it would an older GM.
  9. the_md81

the_md81 Junior Member
    from 53045

Thanks all - this is my first year plowing and I feel much more relaxed about plowing with my CC than I did at first. @SMiller - No, I haven't done either of those. I have done some research on the transfer case pump rub and that's on my to do list. As to the plate I have never seen one before - could you send me a link to it?
  10. the_md81

the_md81 Junior Member
    from 53045

One other question: for this year at least I'm planning on sticking with the 8'2. However, I might eventually go with the 9'2. I assume they would, but does anybody know for sure if the 8'2 and 9'2 use the same wiring, mount, etc. Basically, are they interchangeable?
  11. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

The remedy is called a gusset,not a plate,that will reinforce the frame from the flexing motion going on because of your plow and counterweight behind your rear axle,AKA the pendulum effect.
  12. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Yes the 8'2" and the 9'2" are completely interchangeable, the only difference is you get and extra foot of width wesport