1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

<48" spec for compact tractor?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by edgeair, Feb 25, 2014.

1. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

<48" spec for compact tractor with factory cab?

I searched a few phrases but didn't come up with an answer to this.

I have been exploring options for a sidewalk machine for next year. I know there is the Ventrac line and they look like they would do the job. However, I would rather use a compact tractor such as the Kubota B2650 or Deere 3000R series for their versatility and cost effectiveness over the Ventrac.

The Ventrac is about 48" wide. The specs out of the book are around 53" or 56" for the aforementioned compact tractors. Being that these are the smallest each of those manufacturers offer with a factory cab, I am wondering if anyone has had any luck speccing a compact tractor down to 48" or less with a factory cab?

I know you can get an aftermarket cab, but they are never as good, and are not really cost effective. Each of the manufacturers make a smaller series, but then you lose the power of the 25-35hp range.

With the large number of pros on here, there must be someone that has come through this decision process before and can shed some light on options for this purpose, or at least I hope....

The dealers seem to be lost on finding a narrower spec for those units I mentioned.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. wislxer

wislxer Member

3. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Well aren't you just an encyclopedia of information!

Those are quite the sidewalk units, and kind of make a trackless seem obsolete (for cost reasons).

My purpose is more within condo complexes and in front of stores. That machinability video makes a good case for a municipal application. I am not sure whether these units would be maneuverable enough for me but I will look more into them for sure.

4. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

By the way, I love your signature wislxer hahaha
  5. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare Senior Member

I know its a little wider than you want but we run a JD 2305. At it widest point it is 54". We run a vinyl cab because its easy to take off. the tractor that is comparable to the 2305 is the 1025. And you can get a Sims cab for it that is no wider than the tractor.
    For a side walk rig it works great pretty much bulletproof.

6. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Yes for sure. My dad had a 2305 for about 8 years and it was a great little unit. I was hoping to find a factory cab unit but may have to bring down my expectations if I can't find one. We would be using a blower on it so the cab type is important with the crazy weather we get here sometimes. The whole county was shut down for about a week once this winter and a few days another time.

Do you have any heat in there?
  7. B-2 Lawncare

I've looked at the cabs that come on the 1025 they are solid with heat lights and wipers. Almost traded for it. But we need to be able to get under tree in the summer.
  8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

if you have a massy dealer around you pay a visit...I found them to be well built and cheaper in cost only compared to case/ih and deer....been hearing a lot about kubota attachments not holding up as they should, however the base tractor seems ok
  9. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Ok sounds good. There's one a little further from me than the others but it's worth a look. Thanks
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I can't remember how wide, but JD makes a narrow tyre kit\whatever for the 5000 E Series. My dealer has had one sitting their for several years, great sidewalk unit but way too spendy for a contractor. $70K give or take.

Front blower is driven off the rear PTO. It even had a drop spreader off the 3 point at one time. 23 MPH and enough power to go through anything.
  11. wislxer

wislxer Member

Are you sure those littler ones are that much more maneuverable? That's not intended as rhetorical, I honestly don't know? Take this machine for example:

I've been getting all googly eyed over this one recently as I'm interested in a dual drives/walks machine that has good road speed. This is my best find yet.

It is 1 foot longer and 3 inches taller than your B2650 but outside of that it's the same size or less with way more capabilities. It's 10 inches more narrow has 50 more hp, weighs roughly 1700 lbs more and can lift 1500 lbs more on the 3 point. Oh and it's nearly twice as fast (9 mph vs. 15+ mph). Of course it's used with no warranty but it also costs about half of a nicely equipped B2650.

I'm not trying to convince you to look at something else here and I may not be answering your question the best but I'm interested in this discussion. Hope I'm not hijacking too much.

And keep in mind that between the two you said you were looking at just know the Deere 3 series is twice (9mph vs 18-19mph) as fast. I can't imagine that not being helpful. I've been spec-ing those same machines and ruled out the Bota because of that.

Glad you like the sig. Some dork in another thread said it was "irrelevant and unhelpful" to PS. :mad: He must be a real riot to have beers with. :drinkup:
  12. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

If you can take some photos. I like the E series deeres. If no photos then it doesn't exist ;)
  13. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

I really don't know, it is an assumption just based on the wheelbase, but in actuality might be not a big difference.

I only mentioned those models as they were the smallest factory cab units available that I have come across. I am open to any feasible option.

I got pricing on both the ventrac 4500 and bota. The bota without attachments or loader was low 20's CAD cash. The ventrac was 31500 CAD without attachments.
  14. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

If you wouldn't mind a smaller tractor like the 2305 if you could get a factory cab, check these people out http://www.tektite.ca/cabs/jd2320.shtml They make factory-like cabs for the smaller tractors that the OEMs don't make cabs for.
  15. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I have a small frame B series Kubota, B7610. It has 24hp and is about 46" wide. I have a soft sided Curtis cab for it. I do have a 60" blade on the front. A 54" is available as well as blower options. I have no complaints about the cab. The heater does a great job.
  16. B-2 Lawncare

I looked at wislxer tractor on tractor house, looks like a sold tractor, but huge for a side walk rig. That thing would only fit on about half a side walk. Like you said in your reply to my post you might have to scale back you expectations on how big of a tractor you can get for a "side walk rig" one other thing that I can add is we have a loader for our 2305 but don't plow with it because when you hit a crack or a gap the the walk it almost stops you in your tracks. The blade trips on the quick hitch. which dosent completely eliminate the jarring effect but its a lot better than with the loader. Something to think about.
  17. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Well I don't think I can use something too big but on the same side it has to be capable of handling a bunch of snow. It has to be comfortable, have a good heater/defrost, and be capable of using a variety of attachments. Ultimately it has to be idiot proof to drive since sometimes it's hard to find skilled operators for sidewalks. Hence why I am trying to make it as nice to operate as possible. I've had trouble keeping sidewalk guys and who can blame them due to the working conditions.

I took a photo of one of the sites we service, but will have to wait to upload it when I get to a computer. Some places are tight. I took my Bobcat S250 over with a 72" blower the other day to widen things out, but can't access several places due either to width or length. Lots of tight 90 degree corners to get around.

That's why I might be barking up the wrong tree looking for a compact tractor. The Ventrac while pricey, have a little more in the way of attachments and turn sharper with the articulation.
  18. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

I don't see putting a loader on one. A skid steer (which I already have) is a much more robust and efficient loader platform. I'd want a front mount v blade, snowblower, angle broom and rear mount sander or other blade or even just a weight.
  19. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Do you have one of their cabs?
  20. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

We bought a Kubota 3030. Had an EPOKE spreader off the PTO. It comes with an integrated cab. Great machine!!