1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

48"inch led light bar

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by the new boss 92, Jan 9, 2010.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

is there any down side to having one of these? do the make mag mounts for these or do i have to permenently mount to a back rack? i have never had a full sized light bar and was wondering how useful they realy are? how about the ally take down lights on them are there any main uses for them?

2. the new boss 92

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

how many use bars like this, i have one buddy that runs this bar and its bright and stands out from the 30 dallor light i have been using, i have also been backing into alot of road ways to clean entrences and stuff like that. also mounting is a big concern because im not keeping the truck for next year so i really doing want to be drilling any holes in the roof of the truck!

3. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

sent yah a pm have the same bar for a lot less $$ lol

4. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Well, if you are concerned about backing out of driveways, then your focus should be on the rear of the vehicle. You definitely have to permanently mount a full size lightbar. That lightbar is a POS. That is why it only has a one year warranty. You get what you pay for.

I'm putting together some plower packages including a mini LED Bar and corner strobes, if you are interested. Price would be about what you are looking to spend on that LED bar.

5. the new boss 92

well let me know what is included in the package, as far as the bar being pos, i have seen it on a buddys truck and its is hell bright enough and will do the trick as far as getting what i pay for, i have seen it in action and the durabilty seemed fine. i think it will work for a little while and doo just what i need it to do for a seson or 2

6. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

:dizzy: yah thats why SEVERAL members on here have them 2-3 years on their trucks AND have posted videos of em.....yah some POS, huh?? :laughing:

a mini led bar won't put out nearly as much coverage as a 48" led will...

7. the new boss 92

^ agreed, after i get it mounted on a back rack and get it going i will post pictures during the day and at night.

8. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

compared to whelen / sho me / fed sig these are "crap" but to serve the function that he is looking for it is more than adequate. At the very least this bar is way better than what he currently is running so it's a step in the right direction.

9. SafetyLighting

I stand behind what I said, and I don't care what size bar you have in the front it isn't going to help you backing out of a bad driveway.

As I said, if his concern is about backing out into traffic, he would be better off spending that $500 on a minibar and some corner strobes. That is my opinion, from my experience. Take it as you will.

10. WilliamOak

Or a really nice ins coverage plan and a low deductable so he can just back into whatever street whenever and wherever he wants without a worry in the world. LOL

11. SafetyLighting

LOLOL, or a quickchange license plate like on "The Transporter".

12. WilliamOak

LOL or he could just have Rambo tag along with him. then when he has to back into a street send rambo out. Nobody f*cks with Rambo.

13. the new boss 92

Lol I like collins thinking with the ins. And I would get more then I paid for the truck! Lol but yea I have seen the bar in opperating order, I just don't see spending 2000 on a light bar just not worth it to me!

14. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

EXACTLY!!! I'd love a whelen, BUT NO lightbar is worth $2k+

15. WilliamOak

Didnt you just buy a whelen? lol

16. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

You need some type of rear-mounted lighting, as John already suggested. In that body style of GM truck, the reverse lights are very rear-facing, so I don't think hide-a-ways would help as much as a pair of LED's mounted out to each side, maybe on the bumper or rear quarter in front of the bumper. Another alternative would be a tail-gate mounted strobe beacon. It'd be cheap and pretty effective for backing out of blind driveways or alleys.

17. the new boss 92

yea, well as of right now i found a few 1 ton srw's i have my eyes on and it looks like i am finishing up the season on this trruck and everything will be swapped over to the new truck. so im looking for something cheaper to get me buy the new couple seasons and i might consider a little bit more expensive light bar to put on the new one. as far as right now this bar will justify my needs and want. i know for a fact that the next truck will have whelend 6 corner 90 watt hid aways. any one else have any more comments or conserns about this bar?