1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

47re rebuild

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Whiffyspark, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Anyone have any recommendations on a kit? Want to rebuild mine in a few weeks

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Can say on any one kit just make sure you get the steels with a kit.

3. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Going to reseal transfer case while I have the trans out.

Damn things needs a new oil pan too lol

4. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

go look on ebay for options, eg red fibres , kolene steels,watch for kits that may allow you to put in an extra fibre,there are some specific rebuilt books for just the 48 too,look to see how hard it is to upgrade to the 48

5. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

6. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Thanks bud I appreciate it

7. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Turns out the best I can tell I have a 46re in this truck.

I'm still struggling with what to do. It has 120k miles on it but it's paid for. I can't decide if I want to wait till spring and pay cash for new. Or buy a new truck now

8. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Ive been thru all that, had my 93 diesel with a 5 speed that I used to plow with, was an awesome plow truck but it was getting old, if the tranny went it was 2500 to upgrade to a nv if you did all the work your self. there come a time when repairs can cost more than up grading,and you are stuck with an old truck that's not worth what you got into it, so then what do you buy, I ended up with an 09 6.7 , did the dpf and egr delete , efilive back to stock power and an auto, I also have an 08 6.7 with the g56 6 speed , but after driving the auto I might just get rid of that 6 speed truck and go with another auto too, the 68rfe auto is weak , but when fixed up should be strong enough for the job. the pre 07.5 used the 48 trans which are supposed to among the toughest and you end up with the 5.9, nice part of going diesels is you end up with the big rear ends and ujoints that make for hours of trouble free plowing

9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Diesels aren't worth it to me anymore. If I can find a good deal on a 6.0 id buy it, but not new. They don't make financial sense anymore.

Not interested in a manual swap either I'm too lazy for that lol

10. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

Good point - I hope you kept the 93 though as they are continually going up in value. Those 1st gens are like harleys now, 20 years later worth what you paid new depending on the package